9 week old pullets with 4 week old chicks

GambaDawn

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
Central California
So, some help would be appreciated from you all.
I have 5 hens (20 weeks), and one roo (20 weeks),in the coop/run. Then I got 4 more chicks in my brooder (2 buff orp’s 9 weeks) and 2- 3 or 4 week olds, one RIR and one I think is a Easter Egger. So the four in the brooder, I separated at first with poultry netting in the brooder for the first week or two, until one of the little ones Kept flying over the top of the netting to get in with the bigger girls. So I finally let them in together, and removed the netting. I watched them closely ( they were 7 weeks and 2 weeks at the time), and they have done great together. The ”Aunties” seem to take care of them.
so, questions now are, one, will the older girls get too big too fast and harm the littles? And two, when can I pit them all in with my older hens in the coop? Since there’s that age gap between the younger ones and the “aunties” Do I put the two older ones out when it’s time and then have to reintegrate the babies when they are old enough “. Or can I put all four in at same time into the coop when the aunties are ready? I do have a bachelors pad for my roo, which has shared wall that I will probably put them in first, but just don’t know how or when it will be right with the different ages.
thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• E259685F-EA52-4CCB-B585-BDE10F453716.jpeg
    E259685F-EA52-4CCB-B585-BDE10F453716.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 13
If they're doing ok together right now they should be fine until they out grow the space. Space will be the issue with the growing chicks and their ability to have enough room to move around and not be stressed. As far as how old to introduce them to the older ones...I'd wait until they get at least 9 weeks to put them in the look but don't touch phase then when they get about 11-12 weeks add them. Just make sure you have enough room and obstacles for them to run and hide from the older ones. Extra perches they can jump on to get away from tormentors and possibly two feeding and water stations so the little ones don't have to compete so hard for food.

If they're doing ok together right now they should be fine until they out grow the space. Space will be the issue with the growing chicks and their ability to have enough room to move around and not be stressed. As far as how old to introduce them to the older ones...I'd wait until they get at least 9 weeks to put them in the look but don't touch phase then when they get about 11-12 weeks add them. Just make sure you have enough room and obstacles for them to run and hide from the older ones. Extra perches they can jump on to get away from tormentors and possibly two feeding and water stations so the little ones don't have to compete so hard for food.
Thank you! I do have two good and water stations as well as large branches and things to climb or roost on. So wait until the littles are 9 weeks? That would out the other two at 14-15 weeks

alots going to come down to the individual chickens you have .. at a couple of months they should be ready to join the others supervised until you see how things go .. if you can, raise them in a way theyre familiar with them, its a good idea to have a way to subdivide or cage off an area of the coop if you intend to raise chicks to add to the existing flock and each situation and setup will have its own special requirements .. i just created a new contraption to help me with this since i plan on adding a few newcomers here shortly, but i free range my birds .. im sure this could be dropped in a run to with chicks several weeks old when theyre past the heat lamp stage .. its just wire, i fabricated it by just bending the cut ends around and beating them flat with a hammer ... i just added the first test subject and it went great lol ...

Attachments

• CIMG1668.JPG
    CIMG1668.JPG
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 12
  • CIMG1672.JPG
    CIMG1672.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
alots going to come down to the individual chickens you have .. at a couple of months they should be ready to join the others supervised until you see how things go .. if you can, raise them in a way theyre familiar with them, its a good idea to have a way to subdivide or cage off an area of the coop if you intend to raise chicks to add to the existing flock and each situation and setup will have its own special requirements .. i just created a new contraption to help me with this since i plan on adding a few newcomers here shortly, but i free range my birds .. im sure this could be dropped in a run to with chicks several weeks old when theyre past the heat lamp stage .. its just wire, i fabricated it by just bending the cut ends around and beating them flat with a hammer ... i just added the first test subject and it went great lol ...
That’s a creative little cage!

Originally when I got these four, (from two different feed stores) the two 6-7 seekers (at the time) were already outside. I opted to keep them in for a couple weeks as my roo was being mean and I had him in the bachelor pad/adjoining quarters. Also so they and the two little ones who were only a week old could get to know each other. I fashioned a divider in the brooder (brooder is quite large at 4 x 6) and that seemed to work till one of the littles started flying over the top the second week, and there was only about 6 inches up at the top! Anyhow I figured just keep them together and put them out with the girls when the youngest are at least 6-7 weeks but that will make the older babies 13-14 weeks and I thought I should also get them outside before it starts getting to cold at night maybe and being together at night with four of them they can huddle. But maybe I should separate them. Will they remember the littles and maybe not peck and help protect when it comes their turn to join? Also the second run where the younger ones will go doesn’t have a proper coop. It’s a large dog house that my husband converted and added a roost, but no door to really keep out the cold. When the rooster is in there, at night I have a heavy towel I hang down over the door to keep the draft out. I’m worried for the young ones it will be too cold? Ugh! I love my chickens 🐓 🥰 thanks in advance to any comments
I’m probably way over worrying about this lol!

You can always put the older two in first then add the rest when their old enough to survive the pecking order routine. It's also your call because you know your chickens and their temperaments.

I would not, because adding smaller numbers of chicks is harder on the ones being added.
Also because integrating twice is harder for the person.

I thought I should also get them outside before it starts getting to cold at night maybe and being together at night with four of them they can huddle... Also the second run where the younger ones will go doesn’t have a proper coop. It’s a large dog house that my husband converted and added a roost, but no door to really keep out the cold. When the rooster is in there, at night I have a heavy towel I hang down over the door to keep the draft out. I’m worried for the young ones it will be too cold?

What is your actual night temperature right now? Day temperature?

What is the temperature where the chicks currently are? (Room temperature, and whether they have a heat source in addition to that.)

I would not, because adding smaller numbers of chicks is harder on the ones being added.
Also because integrating twice is harder for the person.

What is your actual night temperature right now? Day temperature?

What is the temperature where the chicks currently are? (Room temperature, and whether they have a heat source in addition to that.)
They do still have a heat lamp, it’s now raised pretty high and Saturday will ge turn off day. It’s in our garage so I’m not sure if temp in there. Our days have been unseasonably warm in the 70s right now, nights in mid 40s

Back
Top Bottom