9 year old hen laying

CT Coop

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2011
I've been raising chickens and turkeys for 10 years now and assumed my old hens were no longer laying. I was surprised earlier this week when my 9-year-old Australorp laid an egg. Today I was astonished when she laid another one. I usually have quite a few chickens and assumed they stopped laying by that age. I only raise heritage breeds and I don't supplement light in the winter, so they have a nice break. I didn't know how to search that topic, so just wondered what others experiences have been?

I have a few hens who will be six this spring and are doing as well as most of my young hens.Isnt rare but isn’t common.They usually slow down as they get older,but doesn’t mean they will stop for good,However doesn’t mean the same thing for other hens.

Non hatchery sourced birds, especially broody breeds such as games, can lay throughout their entire lives.

I have two 7 year old black stars who just started laying again this week after taking the winter off. Last year one of them laid 18 days in a row! I thought this year they were done but they are true champions. They out perform my younger hens. Congratulations on your

I spotted my 7YO blue Ameraucana on the nest and she left an egg. No other hen uses this nest, I am hoping to get 3 per week from her this summer. I do use lights in the winter,,,,

We have two 9 year old hens (an Easter Egger and a Buff Orpington) that we keep separate from our young ones. They both gave us eggs yesterday!! Super excited about this 😊 The BO hasn't laid in over a year! The easter egger is sporatic throughout the summer.

Back
Top Bottom