90 gram egg!

GoldenSilverLaced

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
East Central IL
Dunch, my Golden Buff, laid a 90 gram egg today....gigantic! She normally lays large/extra large, but this qualifies as jumbo!

The center egg is the 90 g one, the one on the left is Linner's egg, and the one on the right is Dunch's "normal"-sized egg.
29976_img_2135.jpg

Here is a pic of Dunch having a show-down with a friend of mine (don't worry, he;s not squeezing her even though it looks like it).
29976_0502091521.jpg

Here is a pic of the girls.
29976_chick_pics_013.jpg

I haven't broken it open yet...her previous double yolkers were shaped oddly, very long and narrow, not a "normal" egg shape. This one looks normal-shaped to me, so maybe/maybe not a double. I will post an update when we break it open!

Here are a couple of double yokers I got. I don't know what they weighed. I wasn't weighing any eggs back then. Now I weigh all of my eggs.

DSC00209.jpg
DSC00212.jpg

Wow those are big! Mine were very oblong.

I don't normally weigh the eggs, but sometimes, just to get an idea of the size, I do. That last one was way too abnormally large to ignore!

We cracked the 90 g egg today, on the girls' first birthday -- it was just a single giant yolk! I wonder if it would have been a giant chick had it been fertile?

Pic to follow.

Quote:
I have an EE that regularly lays 88g eggs. We tried to incubate a few of her eggs this year along with the other birds' eggs. Teh ginomous ones do not hatch. They develop a bit but then expire.

90 is nothing compared to our BA's eggs. We have had 98, 116 and today 117 gram eggs. They normally lay large to extra large ranging from 59-71 grams. These are 3 we have got in 3 weeks. I believe it was from Jersey (our Black Jersey giant). I have broken all of them except the one I got today. The 98 was a double, the 116 was a triple yolker. So it is nothing for us to get a 90 gram egg.

Back
Top Bottom