9th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2018-hatch-a-long

My hatch is over. I've never had a hatch like that and I'm not sure what went wrong here but something was definitely not right. I had 9 of 13 hatch and ah least half of them needed help because they were stuck. Humidity looked good the entire hatch but they had this may sticky goo all over them. This is the group that accidentally didn't get turned for the entire first week they were in. That's the only thing I can think of that may have caused any problem. I was even good and stayed out of the hatcher unto absolutely necessary. Any ideas?

One baby is very weak and I don't know if it'll make it. It had all sorts of bubbles from its zip line and in its mouth when I had to intervene. I think it breathed in some fluid. It's still alive since from last night (helped yesterday afternoon) but not moving much, just laying in one spot, breathing. If anyone has any suggestions for that one, I'm all ears.
Shipped eggs or temps too low. Humidity is not usually a main factor with sticky chicks. Temperature it the number one cause of it.

I would use the cool down cycle next time and use the brinsea spot check for the thermometer.

I have quite a few people swear that there temps were spot and not get a spot check. Finally they got one and found that their temps were more than a degree off

the extera fluid suggest to me that th hey didn't lose enough moisture? I had that with my last batch also, this time I dripped the humidity down 5 % we will see if it improves.
Extra liquid in the egg at hatch is because they did not absorb the liquid. That happens with perfect humidity.

Shipped eggs or temps too low. Humidity is not usually a main factor with sticky chicks. Temperature it the number one cause of it.

I would use the cool down cycle next time and use the brinsea spot check for the thermometer.

I have quite a few people swear that there temps were spot and not get a spot check. Finally they got one and found that their temps were more than a degree off
:thumbsup:goodpost:

FE3E8922-7927-4610-A7DC-13263C5E1C25.jpeg
Nyhal chicks discovering there’s water in those nipples.

80-85 * F. Most people just go by their actions.
Much more accurate then a themometer. ;)
Well they use the pad here and there so i may turn the temps down on it then.
What about cold? How cold can they take?
I am wanting to move them into the inside of the coop in a cage to help with cleaning and to get my spare room back lol
I have only raised ducks in spring so.....not sure on their cold tolerance.
This is supposed to be the weather for the week:
20180114_135140.png

Back
Top Bottom