9th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2018-hatch-a-long

I always prefer to find them new homes as opposed to freezer camp, we'll for the hens anyway.

X2! I can honestly say that the only hens we've had to butcher were CX. We're usually able to find homes for the others.

I woke up this morning and fed the babies in the brooders. The outside brooder's water was frozen solid! The babies were all fine and even rushed to the cold side to meet me for breakfast. I pulled the blanket covering the crate they're in down a bit further. Probably more for my own comfort than theirs lol

X2! I can honestly say that the only hens we've had to butcher were CX. We're usually able to find homes for the others.
X3 only ever butchered CX hens. People want hens! I try to find homes for the roos too but we put them in the freezer too.
If they are really pretty and nice i cant see butchring them, if they are mean......freezer camp.

X3 only ever butchered CX hens. People want hens! I try to find homes for the roos too but we put them in the freezer too.
If they are really pretty and nice i cant see butchring them, if they are mean......freezer camp.

I've had to butcher many a friendly roo. It's always hard and I feel terrible for it but I can't have 1000 roos running around. I was so happy that my big black cochin roo found a home the other day :)

Same here. Two or three keepers are enough

I think I have 10 roos right now lol. Too many! But I don't like risking losing one for breeding and not having a backup lol.
2 CCL
2 lav AM
2 silkies
1 BCM
1 crele Orp (only because hubby loves that he's huge and pretty)
1 serama
1 CX outcross

I think I have 10 roos right now lol. Too many! But I don't like risking losing one for breeding and not having a backup lol.
2 CCL
2 lav AM
2 silkies
1 BCM
1 crele Orp (only because hubby loves that he's huge and pretty)
1 serama
1 CX outcross
Ok off top of my head. 12 here but most are destined. The Crele Orpington sound nice. Any pics?

Man i thought i had alot of roo!! Yall are crazy lol
I must rehomed 3 adults and sold a group if 8 chicks with some males it it before that i had ....7 roos... and i was going crazy lol
Now i have 3 with the hens and 2 are bantams so i dont worry too much about the over breeding... my big girls put the bannies in their place about trying to mount them lol
Once i have full blood breeds/egg production of course i will have a lot of roos but until them the small number only lol
(I say all that and out of those 24 chicks 17 will be male :thlol)

Back
Top Bottom