9wk old chick having seizures

siouxray

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 11, 2007
New York
We have a Cuckoo Maran pullet who has had 3 seizures that we know of. The first was 3 weeks ago and we thought it was an isolated incident but she had another last night & this morning. She's by herself & still in the house but by our 3 wk old guineas & a Polish boy who got picked on
sad.png
. She's quieter than normal most of the time but is very loving & talks alot to us. It really looks like a seizure to me - she stiffens up & shakes and is even quieter afterward (I've picked her up & held her every time). Nothing has happened to her that would cause this so maybe it's genetic? Does anybody have any ideas what could cause this? Do you think she'll be able to have a 'normal' life with the flock? We've gotten very attached to her (not that all the critters aren't spoiled or anything
smile.png
). We're just REALLY concerned about her. Thanks!!

You may want to give her some vitamins, I've heard that they can help in some cases. Poly-vis-ol (without iron), a few drops (like 5 or 6) along the corner of her beak, and maybe separate her. It could be a lot of things, and I honestly don't know anything about it, but I know vitamins have been suggested before!!! I hope someone can help you!!!

Sorry I have no suggestions but to call a local vet and see if they would answer any questions over the phone and to give the Vitamins aswell as pm Dlunicorn on here and see if she might know. If not ask someone you know to ask their vet, especially a livestock vet, normally better at giving free advice. If still no one to help call your local/state division of Ag and animal dept. i have found them to be very helpful. If you find a medicine that they give for seziures in chickens, you could call the makers and ask for their advice. Hope she gets well
hugs.gif

Stress will exacerbate the problem.
In addition to the polyvisol you can give (once every other day for a week) a human vit.E/selenium combo geltab (p r i c k open and give contents in beak)>make sure the selenium content does not exceed 50 MICROgrams. This is known to help neurological issues and also toxicities.

Last edited:
Thank you for the ideas! I'm getting her the meds tomorrow & am really hoping she doesn't have anymore. One question though - should we build her a seperate pen for when she gets older? I would hate to have her have one free ranging with the others. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom