Buff Duck 7 weeks old suddenly having seizures

PointPleasant

Hatching
Jul 2, 2023
One of my Buff Duck hens is suddenly having seizures today. She will be 7 weeks this Tuesday. We started our little chicken/duck farm 7 weeks ago with 13 Barred Rock Chickens, 7 Bantams, and 3 Buff Ducks. Every other bird is fine. This is the only one with health problems today. She's having seizures and is shaky, weak, tired. I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow if he is in. It being a holiday, I don't know if he'll be there. What could possibly be wrong with my duck and how can I help her?

We've been feeding them zucchini, squash, cucumbers, mealworms along with all flock feed. It has been severely hot the last few days here in Mississippi. It started storming this morning and broke the heat, so I am not convinced it was the heat as she just started this today. We've kept them a small pool of water to swim in.

Do you have any cooling system in your coop? And can you describe her seizures? The vet is a good idea. Is she eating and drinking?

She might be a he actually. We're not really sure. No cooling system yet. The seizure come on suddenly. S/he starts flapping around uncontrollably, falling over, ends up on their back or side. Sometimes they come back quickly. Sometimes goes limp for a minute. We haven't seen the duck eat. We've tried feeding them tuna and sardines. Still won't eat. It was scattered around this morning, but it could have been from the flapping around during a seizure. We're hoping the duck ate it.

She might be a he actually. We're not really sure. No cooling system yet. The seizure come on suddenly. S/he starts flapping around uncontrollably, falling over, ends up on their back or side. Sometimes they come back quickly. Sometimes goes limp for a minute. We haven't seen the duck eat. We've tried feeding them tuna and sardines. Still won't eat. It was scattered around this morning, but it could have been from the flapping around during a seizure. We're hoping the duck ate it.
Have the seizures resolved?

Back
Top Bottom