A 250 doller chicken!

It's official: I am a cheapo!
I got my "golden doodle" for $300 - cuz he is black!
P1010678.jpg

And I got a Polish that is white/splash in a box of 30 for about $2 each. She looks like that Six Million Dollar Hen from Canada.
P1010710-1.jpg

Okay, I am poking fun, but I cannot take this 'critter ownership as investment' thing seriously.
wink.png

Its all relative to the enjoyment you get out of them. Some people are happy with $3 chickens. Others are a little more serious and will pay $25 for a nice bird. Still others who are seriously serious will pay up to $100 for a bird. And then there are those who pay $1200 for a pair of Silkies.... (yes its true, it was an eggbid auction)

It all depends on what you are happy with, and what you can afford!

And everyone who raises their chickens, has every right to ask what they want for their birds. I don't fault anyone for setting their prices as they feel necessary..... I just might not buy from them!

I know plenty of folk who sell their birds for much more than $250.00, depending on the stock. It's all in what the bird is worth to you and what you want it for. I have birds on my yard that I wouldn't sell if I was offered that much or more for them. *shrug*

I know a man who raises Moderns and OEGs. He says that at the national get together (don't have a clue what its really called
roll.png
) people will pay around $1000 for some birds. I don't know about you guys, but if I was gonna shell out (no pun intended
tongue.png
) that kind of money for a bird, I get something prettier than a Modern!
lol.png

Not that hard to find dogs worth $3000 and some I would say are truly worth $3000. My dog's brother they got offered $3500 and turned the people down. I traded 2 horses for my puppy. They are very well bred akitas of an uncommon color. Good working dogs, pets, whatever with all the health testing. I wanted something of a known temperament, with known traits, a known background, and proven quality so I paid for it. Now the mixes really aren't worth it mostly because when you mix 2 different breeds you get something unpredictable. They can't be bred for specific traits or looks because you get random results. For every one that comes out right and sells for a high price there are 4 that didn't. It's also hard to health and temperament test. You can't really know what your getting. Your paying lots of money to take the same gamble as getting a shelter mix. If a breeder did mix 2 breeds and breed many generations to produce a new breed with specific traits that has been proven sound then I could understand charging a high price for them but they aren't. They are selling first generation mixes with all those unknown genes. It's dumb.
roll.png

If I had the money I'd pay a few $100 for a rare color of a rare breed of just about anything because I love playing with genetics and breeding for such things. Unfortunately I don't so I get to play with the common genes. Luckily there are more than enough common color genes to have fun with. I do hope some day to get my hands on a nice homozygous black tobiano quarter horse stallion. When I have in the $10,000-$100,000 range to drop on a horse.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom