A 2nd molt for my Ameracauna

Jules Mims

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Sacramento
Hello...

Clarissa has decided to molt again. It's been going on for a couple of days.. feathers in the yard. Is a 2nd molt unusual? She is 14 months old and has grown new feathers from the first time around. Our barred-rock, Jennifer, is the same age and has not molted at all.

Any thoughts out there?

Thank you,

Julie

Well when was the last time it molted? If it just molted a few days ago then yes that is strange!
Keep me posted!
Good luck

How long ago did she molt before? Is it possible she's still molting? Did she start laying again between molts? Any big stress on the flock - like predator issues?

Hello... she was molting in September and into October. Her feathers have grown back to almost normal. But now I've noticed soft feathers falling out again in the last 2 days. Also, during this time, no egg laying at all. She seems fine, eating well... still not wanting to be picked up since the original molt started in September. I understand that she is uncomfortable. No predator issues at all. She and her barred rock companion have a pretty serene lifestyle. Jennifer, the barred rock, has not molted yet and is still laying eggs about every other day now.

Any ideas?

September - October Seems like maybethis is just a continuation. Show us the wing feathers! My girls wasn't completely done until her wings were nearly grown in.

THen again because she was so young I nearly missed the signs... OK I DID miss the signs and was treating her for being egg bound, etc. before I realized what was going on. DOH! If she hasn't replaced any tail feathers yet she is probably jsut continuing with the original moult. I believe tail is the final hurrah. (but maybe I'm wrong)

Okay then, she's just molting in stages. She blew most of her feathers, grew those back in and is now molting the rest. Nothing to be concerned about.

I'm not that worried.. she seems perfectly fine. Today.. just as an update, she's now lost some wing feathers.... I don't think she lost those the first time around. She did lose all her tail feathers and they have grown back. I'll let you all know how she is doing.

Thanks so much for the input.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom