A 4 foot by 4 foot coop?

chickengoober

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Belton, TX
I am still trying to perfect the 'Chicken Plan'
big_smile.png
so my question today is: How many chickens would I be able to keep comfortably in a 4 foot by 4 foot coop(bantam and/or full sized). They will have a 10 by 10 run open to them during daylight hours as well.

A few -- depending on your climate and where the nests and food / water are, maybe 4 or 5, maybe a couple more if they are small and the weather lets them get outdoors every day.

Really, many people who start with a small coop like that end up using it for something like a broody or grow out coop, and building at least an 8'x8' walkin coop.

I'm in the same boat, I will have three standards and three bantams. I might make the run bigger to supplement, esp in the winter time. I wish I could build a bigger coop, but most of my yard is already occupied by dog kennels, and this is really not my house.

Quote:
That's my problem too
lol.png
we're just renting our current house and plan to buy our own in about a year, so the coop i build must be able to move with me when i leave. I would like to build a bigger coop but it would have to fit on my little 4x6 trailer.

Thank you all for your replies, back to work getting the place ready for the girls

Quote:
That's my problem too
lol.png
we're just renting our current house and plan to buy our own in about a year, so the coop i build must be able to move with me when i leave. I would like to build a bigger coop but it would have to fit on my little 4x6 trailer.

Thank you all for your replies, back to work getting the place ready for the girls

Build a bigger coop, Just build it modular. You could have the sections held together with carriage bolts. When it comes time to move, unbolt the sections, load them up in your truck/trailer and move on down the road.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom