A 6-Pack from Texas

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LilBizzy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    It's been a rough road, traveling from skand and the1much's yard all the way from Texas to Maryland. Some of the eggs got scrambled on the trip. I had problems getting the temps right in the cruddy bator. But this morning, one of the unmarked little eggs had a pip. I came home from work at lunchtime, and this is what I saw:

[​IMG]

After I got the dog out, and washed my hands, I peeked in the bator, and saw this:

[​IMG]

It took a few minutes, but she got up. She's soooo tiny. Soooo adorable. Her skin is very reddish pink. She's so lonely. But 2 others have pipped.

[​IMG]
    I't gonna be a long night!!

More pictures post #5

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. urbanhatch

urbanhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    Love the hatch days! Good luck, looking good.

3. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    [​IMG]

4. LilBizzy

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    ohhhh, the babies are rambunctious. The first one who hatched was pecking through the pips of the others. He grabbed a feather from one of the chicks through the shell, and dragged the shell a few inches.
    He got bored of that, and walked/flopped over to the other 2 that had pipped. One was zipping from the inside, and bad chickie was trying to zip him from the outside.
    Then, bad chickie pecked another egg. It rolled away from hin, then back toward him. He pecked it again. And again, and a few more times. The poor little one inside was either getting the thrill of his life, or the scare of his life... He finally hatched- but is having a bit of trouble getting around. Probably still dizzy.
    When the second one hatched, bad chickie was right there pecking. He grabbed the little one by the wing. It was actually quite funny. I have video which I will post.
    But now the second hatched chick is chasing the first one around. Ahhh, siblings...

5. LilBizzy

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    By early this morning, 4 eggs had hatched. Two were having troubles, but we got them to come out of their shells. The 4 "older" ones were quite horrible- pecking the daylights out of the last one to hatch. I couldn't believe how bad they went after the little ones. It was like a little chickie gang. Hard to believe such tiny little adorable fuzzies can be so brutal. So I have the last 2 still in the incubator till they lose their "sea legs" .
    These eggs were from skand and the1much's mixed pen, so they are mutts. The first one to hatch is brown and chipmunk-y looking, from a white egg.
    [​IMG]

Here are the first 4 ( the horribe mean little stinkers):
    [​IMG]

Here is the buff orp baby and the last one to hatch:
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea what mix the last one could be? she has dark skin and greenish leg. There are yellowish feathers on her chest. She looks black from a distance , but when you get closer, she's brownish blackish.. interesting color, really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    looking good![​IMG] [​IMG]

7. PattiXmas

PattiXmas Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    How cute! It's just amazing. Congrats!

8. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    utohhh I think you might have gotten a game chickie..... hehehe
    Can you get a few newer pics? Do any of the white/yellowy ones have any black dots or fuzzy feet? If so, brahma/leghorn mix. I'm sorry the rest didnt hatch for you.. danged scrambling! Hopefully, I can get you some more, and maybe, I can get the names on them before Jim bubble jackets them!
    Congrats Momma D!

9. LilBizzy

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:No fuzzy feets, but one of them has a tiny spot of black feathering on his back, and another spot on his thigh. One looks like a chipmunk- light brown with dark stripes.

Game chickens have green feets?

10. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    cute chicks!
    this is a bit off topic but, did the biggest little rooster ever have chicks or did skand hatch sme out for you? did i miss the thread?? [​IMG]
    once again cute!
    ~Bri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by