This pic shows 12 day progression

Attachments

• IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    395.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 89E593FC-D5E1-4A42-A6F7-8B921FAE96BC.JPG
    89E593FC-D5E1-4A42-A6F7-8B921FAE96BC.JPG
    652.4 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to BYC. My goodness, there are a lot of mosquito bites and scabs on the combs. Fowl pox lasts around 3 weeks, and most chickens recover well, unless they get wet pox lesions inside the beak and throat. Wet pox can make them stop eating, so look for any yellow patches inside the beak. Pox can slowly spread around the flock over weeks or months. Do not remove scabs on the skin, since it can spread the virus. I would remove any standing water, perhaps spray some permethrin around your coop, and possibly place some strips of screen wire over your windows and door. Here is some reading about pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Welcome to BYC. My goodness, there are a lot of mosquito bites and scabs on the combs. Fowl pox lasts around 3 weeks, and most chickens recover well, unless they get wet pox lesions inside the beak and throat. Wet pox can make them stop eating, so look for any yellow patches inside the beak. Pox can slowly spread around the flock over weeks or months. Do not remove scabs on the skin, since it can spread the virus. I would remove any standing water, perhaps spray some permethrin around your coop, and possibly place some strips of screen wire over your windows and door. Here is some reading about pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Thanks, I wasn't sure what could be used to deal with the mosquitoes in the house that would be safe for the birds.

Permethrin 10 concentrate can be found at TSC and other farm stores and the mixing instructions are found inside the label for chickens and coops. I would not use it if you raise bees, but it is safe for chickens. It lasts 30 days, and comes in pints and quarts.

upload_2018-10-24_16-35-30.jpeg

I would highly recommend that you screen your coop openings as suggested, it will help prevent them from being bitten while roosting and stationary. Fans in the eaves or windows to move the air can also help in keeping the mosquitos from being able to land on them. It reduced my incidence of pox a lot. The good news is that birds that are infected have some resistance when they recover, so shouldn't get sick from that strain again. That IS a lot of bites, poor bird!

2x coach723 on the screening.
My outside brooder is screened & every crack sealed ... Lost chicks to pox many years ago before I had all the resources to information. My Chicken House has shower curtains completely around that I open/close nightly/rain, I spray for bugs/mosquitos in the surrounding area, have had Dry Pox couple years ago but have been :fl lucky so far this year. Surprising with all the rain/storms we've had, although the difference is I had cleared all the brush/vegetation from their area.

Back
Top Bottom