A Bantam hen?

Animallover606

Songster
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
I am wondering I have a White Black Tailed Japanese Bantam that has gone broody. What i am wondering is if she can sit on a few Bobwhite Quail Eggs. Would she crush them? There are only 3 eggs but i don't know if she would take the eggs. Also since the period for quial eggs is longer would she know too keep turning? Any help appreciated. I have an incubator i just feel sorry for her having nothing to hatch. Thanks

In my experience they have trouble turning the smaller eggs properly so they don't hatch out many. Also the babies go racing away from them at a young age and they can't keep them rounded up so lose a lot. Incubator and brooder all the way for me

Ok thanks I am glad I have not made that mistake. How many standard eggs could she hatch because I have 10 of those and my incubator is already full.I have 19 days left. I am already so bored of waiting.

I think bantams work great. I use OEGB's hens to set on pheasant, and quail eggs, both taking longer then chickens, and the hen sets on them until they hatch. I'm thinking if my OEGB's don't break quail eggs either will your japanese. But when they hatch I take them and I put them in a brooder

My Mille Fleur Belgian d'Uccle just a week ago hatched the four quail eggs I tucked under her. Once they all hatched I brought her and her crew inside in a galvanized tub. I take mama hen out twice a day and the rest of the time she keeps her babies warm and scratches around her limited accommodations. They all seem to be doing great with the exception of the occasional hard peck she gives her babies. I'm keeping an eye on that and if it becomes a problem I will move her back with her flock and put the brooder light on to take over keeping babies warm. Good luck!

Quote:
I remove the babies from the mother as soon as they are dry, once they are a day old she cant keep up with them anymore especially if she has more to hatch I had 25 eggs 3 were infertile and 3 were quitters the rest hatched. They are all healthy and happy. So I say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom