A Barbezieux Thread.

they were bred for flavour, so the other characteristics were less important to the breeders. My hen is flighty, but the cock not; he's lovely actually.
I doubt you'd get that combo if you crossed them!

My Barbeziuex chicks eats a lot of grass and greens. This characteristic makes them a little different from other heritage breeds. I threw in some Tahitian taro leaves, a Papaya leaf, and a banana leaf and they ate it........:wee

The Jersey Giant skin is yellow and the Barbeziuex skin is white. This is another trait I can look forward to.

I ended up with 3 cockerels and 3 pullets. The rooster combs are dark red and larger than the hens at this stage. They started fighting each other and I hear them trying to crow when I let them out to play in the am. The Bresse chicks will come into my hand when I tap the pvc in the evening, but the Barbeziuex chicks are hesitant, maybe only one or two will come to me to be put back in the brooder. I have to go inside the small coop to catch the rest.

I have been feeding them papaya and banana leaves. They already ate all the Tahitian taro leaves from my plants. They seem to eat more greens than other heritage breeds.

DSCN0183.JPG

Last edited:
I forgot to update, but I've had to push back processing until Nov 23rd due to work.

@CNJ Once cockerel started crowing at 8 weeks, the other at 12 weeks. They are now tidbitting, dancing and mating (albeit clumsily) at approximately 5 months old.

Here's a quick snap from last week: View attachment 2402584
My male Barbeziuex chicks at three weeks old started crowing and fighting intensely for dominance. I have 3 males and 3 females. In comparison, my 9 week old bresse cockerel didn't crow yet?????????????? :wee

Last edited:
The big negative about this breed is they start crowing at a very young age. Baby crows aren't loud, but three of them constantly crowing at the same time may disturb the neighbors.

The big negative about this breed is they start crowing at a very young age. Baby crows aren't loud, but three of them constantly crowing at the same time may disturb the neighbors.
mine didn't - in fact, he was very slow to start. I think the absence or presence of mature roos has something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom