A Barbezieux Thread.

I haven't processed any (and don't intend to) but they did take a long time to fill out; more like 6 months for the hen, and a year for the cock though he was set back badly by a fox attack.
I am planning on crossing a Barbeziuex with McMurray's Cornish Roaster. Hopefully, they put on some weight and grow faster.

possible (once current AI restrictions are lifted) but complicated! See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/export-livestock-and-poultry

I have Swedish flowers, Araucana, Norfolk Grey, Welsumer, and Barbezieux, and their hybrid offspring (SFH over the others). What do you have?

thanks.

I have a mixed laying flock and a few pekins at the moment. I was supposed to move to my new place in the country but with this covid carnival I am stuck.

I gave my chickens, geese and ducks to my friends and will take some of them when I move. they are: marans, transylvanian NN, white face black spanish, greek hooded and only 1 silkie hen survived. geese are rhine and sebastopol, muskovie and indian runner ducks.

I am looking for barbezieux (it seems nobody has them here), welsumer, cream legbar and araucana. welsumers are rare here, cream legbars are not pure but some czeck hybrids, araucanas are mixed with ameraucanas...

I now have 5 Barbezieux chicks, a Roo at 6 weeks and the others at 2 weeks so too young to tell gender. The Bresse grow faster and have a classic meat bird structure with larger breasts. Hope the Barbs catch up or have superior flavor that might merit keeping them in the flock. Will have some other large roos available so I might try some crosses with Bielefelder to Barbezieux. The Bielefelders are very fast growers and have a wider frame than the Barbezieux.

I now have 5 Barbezieux chicks, a Roo at 6 weeks and the others at 2 weeks so too young to tell gender. The Bresse grow faster and have a classic meat bird structure with larger breasts. Hope the Barbs catch up or have superior flavor that might merit keeping them in the flock. Will have some other large roos available so I might try some crosses with Bielefelder to Barbezieux. The Bielefelders are very fast growers and have a wider frame than the Barbezieux.
I was thinking about crossing a dark cornish with the Barbeziuex, not sure what would be born.

I have 3 from a foxfire ebay potluck. I also have a BCM and a black isbar, so as they grow and get white face, I will tell them apart.
That's who I bought my Barbeziuex hatching eggs from. I got 3 males and 3 females to hatch. I will probably process the males in a few months.

Last edited:
I was thinking about crossing a dark cornish with the Barbeziuex, not sure what would be born.

I am afraid to think what you might get - elephants with stork legs :lau

to be more seroius I think the chicks from that cross might have issues. their legs might not support theit weight especially if they grow fast.

Back
Top Bottom