A BEAR DESTROYED MY COOP WHAT DO I DO

For a bear it might work. Probably 1.2 joule. That is what I have. We do have bears but I have never seen one here. Mine is more for other predators but it does give me a wake-up call when I have touched my wires.

Electric wire/ fencing or just good old lead poisoning

I don’t think using lead as a means to predator control is an adequate option for a farm full of animals lol. Hopefully the electric fence does the trick.
Whether or not the bear came back remains to be seen, but the farm and repairs were in good order when I woke up this morning thank goodness.

Without a game camera to document the experience, you will probably never know. They come....get zapped.....they leave...(in a hurry).

If you put up a 30 mile fencer....(photo of the fence charger if you please).....that is probably around 3 joules and would pack a wallop.

I don’t think using lead as a means to predator control is an adequate option for a farm full of animals lol. Hopefully the electric fence does the trick.
Whether or not the bear came back remains to be seen, but the farm and repairs were in good order when I woke up this morning thank goodness.
Most farmers would use that as primary means I believe. I think an unarmed farmer is far and few between.

Most farmers would use that as primary means I believe. I think an unarmed farmer is far and few between.
I think using lead as a euphemism for bullets and lead poisoning typically mean different things so I definitely thought you were referring to lead poisoning as you stated, sorry.
Without a game camera to document the experience, you will probably never know. They come....get zapped.....they leave...(in a hurry).

If you put up a 30 mile fencer....(photo of the fence charger if you please).....that is probably around 3 joules and would pack a wallop.

I went with the 30 mile controller! I think it was a good choice.

Not a fan of the nails idea when electric cattle fencing will work...I'd be needing first aid for the nails😒😢😢.....DO put PB on the wires as suggested....wire alone is no match for a bear....I'd be bolting re-bar across the openings thru walls with washers & nuts.....same as home burglary window guards.....expanded metal is much stronger than cage fencing, is used for security on bldgs....ask any welder about this...easy job 👍just not overnite 😢

Not a fan of the nails idea when electric cattle fencing will work...I'd be needing first aid for the nails😒😢😢.....DO put PB on the wires as suggested....wire alone is no match for a bear....I'd be bolting re-bar across the openings thru walls with washers & nuts.....same as home burglary window guards.....expanded metal is much stronger than cage fencing, is used for security on bldgs....ask any welder about this...easy job 👍just not overnite 😢

I didn’t want to put forth the effort to make “unwelcome” mats. I felt like they’d be too much work to move daily so animals and myself don’t get injured. I can actually weld (no pro though) it’s just a matter of finding the time to do it! Honestly, just going to try the electric fence for now. I think I’ve fortified the coop to be as sturdy as, if not sturdier, than it was prior and obviously it was still a lot of work for that bear. However, I aim to build a much larger coop within the next year, and this time I’ll build with a bear in mind. Who ever thought that would need to be considered!!

Back
Top Bottom