A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Beekissed, Mar 17, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Does honey come straight from the bee hive to the jar and then to the store to sell ~ without going thru all kinda heating and/or cooling processes? [​IMG]

2. rochrunner

rochrunner Chick-Bees

Dec 27, 2010
    North of Rochester, MN
    That is how most small scale beekeepers do it--hive to bottle to store. Most will filter the honey at some point to remove bee parts and wax, but otherwise it truly is natural honey. On the other hand, large commercial bottlers will flash heat their honey before it is bottle to cut down on the crystallization process. The problem is that this heat will also kill off some of the enzymes that make honey such a healthy food source. Unscrupulous bottlers will add fructose to their honey which is virtually undetectable, but allows them to sell it cheaper.

Happy New Year!

3. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Quote:Search Google for "Honey Laundering" if you want a real eye-opener. You'll never eat store honey again!

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Search Google for "Honey Laundering" if you want a real eye-opener. You'll never eat store honey again!

Uh oh. Thanks for the heads up. Going to do some reading.

5. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I winterized my bee hive yesterday and I am happy to say all my little friends are still alive and well. [​IMG] Great storage of honey for the winter. I did add a sugar water dispenser though so they have extra if they need it. Now they only need to hang on for the next 3-4 months [​IMG]

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I am taking a beginning beekeeper course next month and will be getting my first 2 hives in the spring. Wish me luck!

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:What is the start up cost to get bees and a hive?

8. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Yeah! Congratulations! You will be amazed how much is there to learn. This is my first year and wow, I learned a bunch. [​IMG]

9. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon

Mine was about $300. Bees alone were $150.00

10. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC

Mine was about $300. Bees alone were $150.00

That sounds about right, although I will probably be getting a good deal on the bees since my bee club will be placing a large group order for the whole class.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by