A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Beekissed, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Mine was about $300. Bees alone were $150.00

That sounds about right, although I will probably be getting a good deal on the bees since my bee club will be placing a large group order for the whole class.

That is so cool! I used a supplier from GA last year and I loved my bees, but UPS has been giving him grief about the shipping and now shipping alone is $250.00. I will likely go with a supplier from IN and go and pick up the bees myself. Also, hopefully my bees right now will make it. BOY that colony grew like crazy this summer! I hope they aren’t too big and starve themselves! It was so funny, I started out with Italians and all of a sudden I had 3-4 different types of bees living in my hive too. I will look into a local bee club as well, would be nice to share experiences.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:What is the start up cost to get bees and a hive?

Mine was about $300. Bees alone were $150.00

[​IMG]

WOW!

3. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I sold my complete hives in So CA this summer for $250 each (boxes, bees, frames)... that seems to be the going rate there.

4. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:That sounds about right, although I will probably be getting a good deal on the bees since my bee club will be placing a large group order for the whole class.

That is so cool! I used a supplier from GA last year and I loved my bees, but UPS has been giving him grief about the shipping and now shipping alone is $250.00. I will likely go with a supplier from IN and go and pick up the bees myself. Also, hopefully my bees right now will make it. BOY that colony grew like crazy this summer! I hope they aren’t too big and starve themselves! It was so funny, I started out with Italians and all of a sudden I had 3-4 different types of bees living in my hive too. I will look into a local bee club as well, would be nice to share experiences.

I think that supplier in Georgia is who we are using. We are close enough to pick them up there.

5. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:That is so cool! I used a supplier from GA last year and I loved my bees, but UPS has been giving him grief about the shipping and now shipping alone is $250.00. I will likely go with a supplier from IN and go and pick up the bees myself. Also, hopefully my bees right now will make it. BOY that colony grew like crazy this summer! I hope they aren’t too big and starve themselves! It was so funny, I started out with Italians and all of a sudden I had 3-4 different types of bees living in my hive too. I will look into a local bee club as well, would be nice to share experiences.

I think that supplier in Georgia is who we are using. We are close enough to pick them up there.

He is a really nice guy. But we are from MI so it would be a bit of a drive [​IMG]

6. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    went to my first Ozark bee club meeting last night... they're having 2 beginning beekeeping classes (springfield, mo) in january. if anyone's in the area and wants details, let me know!

7. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:uhhh. I wish I wasn't so far away.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:uhhh. I wish I wasn't so far away.

x2

9. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    I've got a guest room.... [​IMG]

10. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Can I bring the horses, chickens and cats too??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by