A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
We changed the way we went into the winter this year. Last year we lost almost 50% of our hives which was the local average.
In the past we had never treated for Varroa Mites ~ this year we did. The highest causes of winter losses has been attributed to Varroa. We also made sure all of the hives were heavy with honey and had a good amount of bees going into the winter. We did combine a few weak hives with strong ones in the fall and will do splits in the spring ~ if it ever gets here.

I have been totally chemical and treatment free for the last nine years, it was a battle the first four years but now I don't even think about mites and enjoy about five percent winter losses. I believe that strong hives with good stores are the key to overwintering and like you did, combine the weak in the fall.

I have a 10 frame Langstroth hive.

I was wondering if anyone here has one of those older style hives with the honey in tiny little squares?

Can you post a picture? The only thing that comes to mind is the comb honey unit that Drapers used to sell. If I can I will post a picture of one. They do not make them any more, it held three rows of ten 4x4 frames in a shallow super. Is that what you are thinking of?

There is also a Warre hive, but don't go there, it is a terrible system.

Can you post a picture? The only thing that comes to mind is the comb honey unit that Drapers used to sell. If I can I will post a picture of one. They do not make them any more, it held three rows of ten 4x4 frames in a shallow super. Is that what you are thinking of?

There is also a Warre hive, but don't go there, it is a terrible system.

I think that might be it.

It is an old type used in the early 1900's from what I read about it. I can not seem to relocate the article now though. :(

They looked about the size of the top of a square tissue box. There was no photograph of the hive, so I can not imagine what it looks like.

By what the article said, it was not an efficient system and I think it is defunct.

My husband and I have decided to set up a couple of hives for the first time this spring. I am super excited! My grandparents kept bees and sold honey when I was a little girl. My grandma is still around to give advice, but not in any shape to help in any other way. My aunt has kept a hive for a year and is adding another this spring. She has helped me to find a local supplier for the equipment and the bees. I have been reading books and scouring websites and I have read this thread in it's entirety. Thank you all for all of the wonderful information! I am searching for a mentor. I don't personally know anyone personally that keeps bees, but I have been asking and a few people have said they know someone. I am hoping to actually get to meet someone who can show me the ropes a bit.

My husband and I have decided to set up a couple of hives for the first time this spring. I am super excited! My grandparents kept bees and sold honey when I was a little girl. My grandma is still around to give advice, but not in any shape to help in any other way. My aunt has kept a hive for a year and is adding another this spring. She has helped me to find a local supplier for the equipment and the bees. I have been reading books and scouring websites and I have read this thread in it's entirety. Thank you all for all of the wonderful information! I am searching for a mentor. I don't personally know anyone personally that keeps bees, but I have been asking and a few people have said they know someone. I am hoping to actually get to meet someone who can show me the ropes a bit.

Sounds like you have a good start on things. I would suggest contacting your local beekeepers association for help locating a mentor. http://mostatebeekeepers.org/local-associations/

I think that might be it.

It is an old type used in the early 1900's from what I read about it. I can not seem to relocate the article now though. :(

They looked about the size of the top of a square tissue box. There was no photograph of the hive, so I can not imagine what it looks like.

By what the article said, it was not an efficient system and I think it is defunct.

That sounds like a queen mating nuc. It is a very small box with only three to five frames and intended to hold about a cup of bees to care for an emerging queen. The queen will go on mating flights and when it has started to lay she will be removed and sold or used in a full size hive. The new ones can be Styrofoam and include an area for feed, but they only have room for three tiny frames.

Well, I lost the baby (another boy) in a late miscarriage :( and in an effort to make me interested in...well....life again, I'm revisiting the idea of bees. Is it too late to order packages? I am thinking of messaging an apiary a couple hours north of me and asking if he will have extra packages, as his website says nucs are sold out.

I don't know if I'll go through with it, but maybe...

Well, I lost the baby (another boy) in a late miscarriage
sad.png
and in an effort to make me interested in...well....life again, I'm revisiting the idea of bees. Is it too late to order packages? I am thinking of messaging an apiary a couple hours north of me and asking if he will have extra packages, as his website says nucs are sold out.

I don't know if I'll go through with it, but maybe...

Aww ~ I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

If you are in Maryland a good place to check for bees is Snyder's Apiaries in Whitehall, MD http://www.snydersapiaries.com/
I'm sure he is still taking orders for packages and may even have nucs available later.

Back
Top Bottom