A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
I am making home made bee candy / fondant to add to my hives tomorrow when the temperatures get into the 50's. It will drop back to the 30's next week. This is a supplemental feed to help them make it through the rest of the winter. I am making 20 of these pie pans, each weighing about 2.5 pounds.

I hope they work out well. Almost everyone here has Italians, lots of people lost all their bees to starvation even after checking on them a few times. I guess they eat a lot more than other breeds.

I just checked on my bees - Italians. All dead - long, hard winter
sad.png
. I only had 2 hives, so I think I will replace 1 hive this year and build some Warre hives for next year. I think they'll do better in a Warre hive in NY.

We had 20 hives in the early fall and combined a weak hive with a stronger hive for the winter. We went into the winter with 19 hives ~ 11 ten frame hives and 8 eight frame hives. As the weather was beautiful today ~ 54 and sunny ~ we added home made bee candy/fondant to all of the hives as a supplement to get them through the next month of winter.
All 19 hives are still alive and active!!
celebrate.gif

I also received my first apitherapy of the year.
hmm.png

0.jpg

Last edited:
Aww ~ I am so sorry for your loss.  :hugs

If you are in Maryland a good place to check for bees is Snyder's Apiaries in Whitehall, MD     http://www.snydersapiaries.com/
I'm sure he is  still taking orders for packages and may even have nucs available later.

Thank you for the condolences. It has been a difficult time in our lives.

I will check into Snyders...I know where he is, approximately, and it's not too far away.

Bees are getting real hard to find this year, and more expensive too.  (like everything else.)

This is what I am hearing elsewhere too. Sigh.

I don't know if I'll go for it...guess I'd better decide soon.

I am taking beekeeping classes here in my area (PNW) I am also joining my local beekeeping club. So much information and so much to learn. I won't be getting my bees until next Spring because I don't feel like I know enough yet. I am planting a bee garden this year though because a lot of the plants bees like are biannuals and that they take 2 seasons to be in full bloom. That I do know how to do. I am really excited to start this new project.

We went to Bee school last Saturday. We will be going to the beeyard at our local arboretum with the Bee Club members for some hands on training in the next few weeks. Hope we can still get some bees by then. Probably going with Langstroth hives as they seem to be the hive of choice in the club and not too hard to build extras. I am really excited. We are also going to grow Hops this year so It will be a whole new venture.

We went to Bee school last Saturday. We will be going to the beeyard at our local arboretum with the Bee Club members for some hands on training in the next few weeks. Hope we can still get some bees by then. Probably going with Langstroth hives as they seem to be the hive of choice in the club and not too hard to build extras. I am really excited. We are also going to grow Hops this year so It will be a whole new venture.
That sounds great, I can hardly wait until we can have hands on training too. I have a test to take in 2 weeks that will give me my apprentice beekeeper's certification with Washington State. I will spend this year buying all my needed supplies and getting everything painted and ready. I am putting in a gravel area with a border on it with a fenced area to put the hives in to keep the dogs and kids away from them. I am also putting in 3 whiskey barrels with some Emeralds (tall stout evergreen shrubs) to put on the side as a wind break. By the time I do all this it will be next year, so I will be ready for bees by then. I am also paired up with a mentor to go out and 'help and observe' his hives and how he cares for them. Eager to get going here.

Back
Top Bottom