A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
What kind of suit and where did you order it?
It's just a Mann Lake cotton/poly. I was going to order from Mann Lake directly, but I had an Amazon gift card and Amazon points, so I paid nothing for it. If this ends up being something I get really into, I will upgrade to an Ultrabreeze. But to get started, this will be fine.

Last edited:
55 degrees and sunny ~ all the hives are flying!
celebrate.gif

Well, after several years of fence-sitting I finally ordered bees this year. They will not arrive until May, so that should give me time to build the hive - also ordered a Top Bar kit, and have wood of my own to make it. Should be an interesting trip!

Hi

I'm a relatively new member of BYC and have just found this thread. I haven't read all 95 pages of posts (YET) but just wanted to introduce myself here.

I've been keeping bees for 15 years after a swarm arrived in my garden, which I captured and hived with help from an experienced beekeeper. I am fortunate to still have the same strain of bees (although they have swarmed MANY, MANY times over that period) and I currently have 7 colonies all of which have over wintered and are flying well in the sunshine at the moment.
I have a mixture of hives. My original ones are British Nationals which are similar to Langstroths, but a few years ago I discovered "natural beekeeping" and Top Bar Hives and I have several of those too which I really like for their simplicity. I am building my next one with a window in the side so that I can watch the bees building up without disturbing them too much, but construction of it is on hold whilst I build a hen ark for my new chucks!
Like most people my bees have varroa but are currently 5 years treatment free and surviving.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hello" and offer my support and experience to anyone just getting started.

Regards

Barbara

Hi

I'm a relatively new member of BYC and have just found this thread. I haven't read all 95 pages of posts (YET) but just wanted to introduce myself here.

I've been keeping bees for 15 years after a swarm arrived in my garden, which I captured and hived with help from an experienced beekeeper. I am fortunate to still have the same strain of bees (although they have swarmed MANY, MANY times over that period) and I currently have 7 colonies all of which have over wintered and are flying well in the sunshine at the moment.
I have a mixture of hives. My original ones are British Nationals which are similar to Langstroths, but a few years ago I discovered "natural beekeeping" and Top Bar Hives and I have several of those too which I really like for their simplicity. I am building my next one with a window in the side so that I can watch the bees building up without disturbing them too much, but construction of it is on hold whilst I build a hen ark for my new chucks!
Like most people my bees have varroa but are currently 5 years treatment free and surviving.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hello" and offer my support and experience to anyone just getting started.

Regards

Barbara

Hello & welcome! I started with 2 top bars last year. Unfortunately, the NY winter has killed both hives
sad.png
. Not deterred tho' - I will get one hive replaced and then start building a Warre hive, I think that will be better for NY. How's the flooding up your way?

Back
Top Bottom