A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Our honey bees found the new pollen feeder we made in just a few minutes. They worked it heavily all day. It is March 15th and few plants are blooming so they will take the pollen substitute for now. Once natural pollen is available they will take that first. The bees are raising brood and need pollen to feed them. We painted the front purple as honey bees are most attracted to flowers in blue and violet colors.

0.jpg

Last edited:

I found this in my grandma's basement with my grandpa's frames and feeders. Can anyone tell me what it is?
It looks like a display case to display a frame of honey. It appears that there may be some ventilation built in. If that is the case, it may instead be a display case used as an "observation" hive. You put a frame with bees in it temporarily so people can look at them.

Last edited:

I found this in my grandma's basement with my grandpa's frames and feeders. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Nice find! That is an old observation hive. We have a new one that we take 2 frames bees out of a regular hive or nuc to take to demos at schools, fairs, etc. Some observation hives you can set up on a permanent basis with a tube to the outside so they can forage.

Nice find! That is an old observation hive. We have a new one that we take 2 frames bees out of a regular hive or nuc to take to demos at schools, fairs, etc. Some observation hives you can set up on a permanent basis with a tube to the outside so they can forage.

There is a hole on the bottom that goes all of the way through. I wonder if this is to allow foraging. Thanks for your help!

As long as you aren't deathly allergic, this could work, but be careful. Sometimes the more times you have a reaction, the worse it gets until it becomes very dangerous

There is a hole on the bottom that goes all of the way through. I wonder if this is to allow foraging. Thanks for your help!

There are a lot of different designs when it comes to observation hives. Display cases can have a hole in them but usually when you find a exit/entrance it is meant for long term usage and set up with a hose that can either lead to the outside or the whole thing left outside, those models usually run out of space quickly and should be used as a one day exhibit. I will try to find pictures of our OB hives, we have three and a display case. The display case holds one deep frame and has no hole in it other than ventilation. One of the OB hives I made with black walnut wood we harvested on our family farm and followed the plans on BeeSource build it area, it is more like living room furniture. The other OB hive is also a four frame model that we purchased when we bought out a beehaver, it has a hole in the bottom and swivels for easy viewing.

The handiest one we have is a five frame nuc with a frame above, separated with a queen excluder to keep the queen up above so she can be seen. It is not intended for long term use, just a few days and makes returning the bees back to the hive less disruptive. We take it to large fairs and such for a teaching tool and to draw potential customers.

Your best bet is to check for a bee club in your area. Ours gives classes, and gets bees and equipment at a discount.

The first rule of beekeeping is you will get stung. But wearing a bee suit when working with them and constructing flyways will greatly lessen the chance of this happening. Take
BENADRYL
before working with bees also helps a lot, I know a lot of beekeepers who do this. Wouldn't hurt to get you Doctor to perscribe an epi-pen

Back
Top Bottom