A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
The people on this thread need to stop prescribing epi-pens.

~~Yes. While you may be fine and recover, it can also cause arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat) and cardiovascular collapse. Epi Pens are lifesaving for those in anaphylaxis/shock, who will die without it. But they can also be deadly themselves if used unnecessarily, especially in high risk populations (young children, those with heart disease, hyperthyroidism, etc.). If you accidentally (or intentionally) used an Epi Pen when not indicated, you are advised to go immediately to the ER. The exception to all of this avoidance warning is if you have anaphylaxis and are not 100% sure if you are having a reaction, but think you may be. In this case, you always err on the side of caution and use your Epi Pen sooner rather than wait to see what happens. Then call 911. In this case, it is always indicated to use your Epi Pen, even if it turns out you were NOT having a reaction, but there was reason to think you were. Do not play with Epi Pens, they are medicine, not toys.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080930040815AAhfaGj

Doctors will sometimes prescribe pens without the patient fully aware of the dangers.
People will sometimes use the pens because someone said it was a good idea and will have a bad reaction or worse, die.
If a pen is used it should be on the way to the emergency room.
If you can't take a little itching from a sting you should not attempt to keep bees.
I may sound harsh but these pens can be a matter of life and death and those of you promoting them should be responsible for your actions.

The people on this thread need to stop prescribing epi-pens.

~~Yes. While you may be fine and recover, it can also cause arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat) and cardiovascular collapse. Epi Pens are lifesaving for those in anaphylaxis/shock, who will die without it. But they can also be deadly themselves if used unnecessarily, especially in high risk populations (young children, those with heart disease, hyperthyroidism, etc.). If you accidentally (or intentionally) used an Epi Pen when not indicated, you are advised to go immediately to the ER. The exception to all of this avoidance warning is if you have anaphylaxis and are not 100% sure if you are having a reaction, but think you may be. In this case, you always err on the side of caution and use your Epi Pen sooner rather than wait to see what happens. Then call 911. In this case, it is always indicated to use your Epi Pen, even if it turns out you were NOT having a reaction, but there was reason to think you were. Do not play with Epi Pens, they are medicine, not toys.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080930040815AAhfaGj

Doctors will sometimes prescribe pens without the patient fully aware of the dangers.
People will sometimes use the pens because someone said it was a good idea and will have a bad reaction or worse, die.
If a pen is used it should be on the way to the emergency room.
If you can't take a little itching from a sting you should not attempt to keep bees.
I may sound harsh but these pens can be a matter of life and death and those of you promoting them should be responsible for your actions.

thumbsup.gif
goodpost.gif
woot.gif
Good advice!!!!

When referring to the epi-pen, I was replying to an individual whom was having issues with bee stings. I have been stung many times, but one time I had a bad reaction. You would be surprised how fast medical personal see you when need an epi-pen. Local doctors offices may not carry an epi-pen, found that out on that adventure. That adventure cost $1000, the ride in the ambulance is over rated. Since that time I've been stung 6 times with nothing happening.

When referring to the epi-pen, I was replying to an individual whom was having issues with bee stings. I have been stung many times, but one time I had a bad reaction. You would be surprised how fast medical personal see you when need an epi-pen. Local doctors offices may not carry an epi-pen, found that out on that adventure. That adventure cost $1000, the ride in the ambulance is over rated. Since that time I've been stung 6 times with nothing happening.

Not everyone needs an epi-pen but for those who do it is a lifesaver. I have a friend who is deathly allergic to bees and has nearly died several times from Anaphylaxis. Without her epi-pen she would have died. As with all medications they must be used properly and with caution.

I am pleased to see how conscientious you all are! Love it when the discussion is based on real risks and real care for others.
love.gif

Glad to have found this thread. I am a duck keeper, and looking into bees this year. I will poke around through this thread and see if I can find anyone's experience with top bar hives.

Hello from Somerset,UK.

My husband and myself keep honeybees. We started a few years ago with 1 Nuc and ended that year with 3 full hives. We then finished the next year with 6 and this past winter we went into with 11 (see a pattern here?!). We use National brood boxes and polysterene Nucleus boxes. These are amazing and the bees do really well in them, the only down size is cleaning them- They are a pain to clean.

This year we are having to rein ourselves in as it almost got to be a full time job. We had no time off. We as a rule check our bees every week in the summer- so this year it is all about uniting hives and getting them strong ready for the honey flow. Its great fun but can be quite hard work on your back as you are lugging brood boxes and suppers about.

We have some of our hives on a farm, where there is oil seed rape- a really pig, even if I love the honey. The bees go mad for it but is goes completely solid if not processed within a few days of taking it off the hives.

I would suggest any person interested in learning to join one of their local clubs or associations as they should run beginners courses. Its a great way to meet the local beekeepers and also a good way to find out information and maybe get a mentor.

Last edited:
Thanks, mystil, I have signed up for classes at a local nature center, visited with a beekeeper who co-wrote a book on bees, have studied honey bees off and on since I was ten years old.

I have the hive, and am going into this knowing it is a learning experience. Fully intent on caring for the bees the best way possible, and understanding risks. The only bees I think I can get at this point are Italian-Carniolan-Russian mixes. Unless some new information crosses my path within the next few hours.

There aren't any clubs close by, but I have found someone I know on the other side of town is starting bees this year also, and I know tat experienced beekeeper a few towns away, and the nature center staff told me they would be willing to answer questions.

That is the mix of breeds I am getting, they come from Maine which has a similar climate to us, and have not been chemically treated for years. Starting to wonder if mid-May is late enough, the snow here is still 6" above the knee ( just had to dig out the middle strand of the electric fence in the horse pasture is it was shorting out on all the snow - the bottom strand fortunately is not hot).

Thanks, mystil, I have signed up for classes at a local nature center, visited with a beekeeper who co-wrote a book on bees, have studied honey bees off and on since I was ten years old.

I have the hive, and am going into this knowing it is a learning experience. Fully intent on caring for the bees the best way possible, and understanding risks. The only bees I think I can get at this point are Italian-Carniolan-Russian mixes. Unless some new information crosses my path within the next few hours.

There aren't any clubs close by, but I have found someone I know on the other side of town is starting bees this year also, and I know tat experienced beekeeper a few towns away, and the nature center staff told me they would be willing to answer questions.

Good on ya! Most people do not understand the importance of studying and gaining the knowledge BEFORE jumping into beekeeping, it makes the venture much more enjoyable and the likelihood of failure more remote.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom