A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Sgtmom52- It's nice to see someone else extracts in their garage! It's the one time of year my garage gets a good thorough cleaning, so my hubby doesn't complain about having to park outside for a couple of days
wink.png

Sgtmom52- It's nice to see someone else extracts in their garage! It's the one time of year my garage gets a good thorough cleaning, so my hubby doesn't complain about having to park outside for a couple of days
wink.png

Same here ~ Cars in the driveway for a few days and a good cleaning. We also have a utility sink with hot & cold water in the garage to make cleanup much easier.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

So do you call the processing building a Honey House? Like a maple syrup Sugar Shack?

We have a shed we call the honey house, but we just store our equipment there. We extract in our garage. A good cleaning before hand and a sink with hot & cold water for cleanup. It is important to have a space that is secure from bees when you extract or you will attract a lot of attention & visitors.
wink.png

Julie - thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to extract my first super after the 4th of July. It's only been in the 80's recently, so it's not hot enough to extract. And a good idea to store it in the buckets until you need it. It won't crystalize in the buckets? I figured I could store mine in pint sized canning jars.

Julie - thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to extract my first super after the 4th of July. It's only been in the 80's recently, so it's not hot enough to extract. And a good idea to store it in the buckets until you need it. It won't crystallize in the buckets? I figured I could store mine in pint sized canning jars.

It can crystallize in the buckets, but I find it easier to store the buckets than a lot of jars. Also our customers bring back the glass jars for recycling. We sanitize them and replace the lids if needed. I don't have to keep as many jars on hand then. We actually get most of our jars free from a local Natural food store that encourages their customers to return all jars and containers for recycling. They donate them to our Beekeepers' Assoc.

Back
Top Bottom