A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

They have grown so much.

Good idea with the rubber band. My husband strung monofilament through the frames and then pressed the wild comb through it.
I think the rubber band might be quicker and less messy.

So far the owners of the trailer have not removed the trailer so I decided sense there where 5 separate hives in it I would try to catch them as they swarm. So I put up 2 langstroth deep boxes separate up on top of the trailer on opiset sides and have cought 2 swarms . This has been the coolest adventure thus far on the homestead. I have learned so much and still feel like I don't know anything lol. But it is awesome.

I think this is just GREAT!!! I would love a chance to harvest free bees in that manner....hardy bees just out there doing fine on their own, without any intervention from man is my kind of bee. Congratulations on your capture and your thriving apiary. Please keep us posted and keep those pictures coming....I LOVE the pictures!!!
woot.gif

Good idea with the rubber band. My husband strung monofilament through the frames and then pressed the wild comb through it.
I think the rubber band might be quicker and less messy.
yes the rubber bands work out great I did get them at office depot they were the largest bands they had because the first time I used regular dollar store ones and they kept breaking while harvesting the comb and hive. In about 2 weeks 90% of the bands were pushed out the hive. They attached the comb the way they wanted chewed through the band's and pushed them out. Again I'm a new be at this so there are probably better ways to do it. But I found for me this worked out well.

We just came back from checking the two swarm boxes on top of the abandoned trailer. SUCCESS! !!! We definitely cought them . We opened the one hive that has been there a week and they filled one and a half frame full of brood. We will bring that one home tonight. The second one which has been there three days all ready has a swarm in it to. SO COOL. We will wait till there's brood in it before we bring it home. I'm so happy. Now we will have 4 hives total. Trapping them is the way to go if u ask me. We ride over in our club cart the 2 mils with wine in hand and watch them in the afternoons. It's funny . My husband was so against this adventure and now he is absolutely obsessed. Lol here's a picture before we opened the cought hive

sorry it didn't load the first time.

I know it's hard to see but if u look in between the frames you can see its packed with the girls. Lol

I was just thinking how we refer to our bees as 'the girls', and the chickens as 'the girls', dairy cattle are girls.
Then I remember reading somewhere that women do 68 % of the labor in the world and just now realizing that it isn't just people.

I think females are over utilized and under appreciated.
Here is to you , all you girls everywhere!
thumbsup.gif

I would have had more pictures but I got so excited when he pulled up the frame and I saw what they had done I dropped my phone off the side of the trailer lol.

We decided to put another box near another hive in the same trailer. They were all over the place today so maybe we can get one more out of there.

Back
Top Bottom