A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

New FL beekeeper here subscribing! I inherited a hive that had not been harvested in 4 years. With the help of a more experienced person, we harvested and extracted 76 pounds of honey off of 2 very full 9 frame medium supers. Amazingly, the hive is very healthy, but I will be doing a better job of looking out for them.

Last edited:
@Beekissed
bee-kiss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Anything going on with you hive....have you drawn in a swarm yet?

bee-smiley-emoticon.gif

(Have to excuse me...in an emoticon mood today :D )

Not a single bee....
tongue.png
Maybe next year, huh? Got plenty of honeybees out there, though, so still have some pollinators this year.

I may have a little chunk of brood comb that I could ship over as an enticement if you'd like a piece for next year as an enticement. I will probably have to wait until Sept. to know for sure :)

Awwww, how sweet!!!!
hugs.gif
Thank you for offering but I could most likely get a piece of old drawn comb or two from some local beeks down the road if I'd ever stop and ask. Most beeks are nice enough to help out folks in such things. I'll likely close it all down soon and start over next spring if I'm still here.

Bee!
I haven't been on in over a year. It is so good to find you again. I got my first hive this spring. Bees are easier than cattle for sure! I will definitely be visiting this thread often. I have a great mentor but he is really busy this time of year. I know I can get good advice here. I am doing well. Still have the farm. Chickens, turkeys, a feeder pig and of course the cats.

Bee!
I haven't been on in over a year. It is so good to find you again. I got my first hive this spring. Bees are easier than cattle for sure! I will definitely be visiting this thread often. I have a great mentor but he is really busy this time of year. I know I can get good advice here. I am doing well. Still have the farm. Chickens, turkeys, a feeder pig and of course the cats.

Where you been so long, woman!!!!!!
hugs.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
You'll not believe this, but I was just thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing, if you were still having good fellowship with that good church family you found and how you were doing with your place. Funny, huh?
big_smile.png
God put you on my heart and here you are!
yesss.gif

And bees too!!!!???????
th.gif
And a pig??? Your farm is growing!
clap.gif

I may have a little chunk of brood comb that I could ship over as an enticement if you'd like a piece for next year as an enticement. I will probably have to wait until Sept. to know for sure :)
I hear slumgum works well. When rotating out old brood frames save the gunk (slumgum) strained out of melted wax. A drop or two of lemon grass oil is also an attractant.

Smeared some on the opening and inside wall of our trap. Can't say how well it works from first hand experience as the trap went up late in the year. Early swarm season I'll have up a few more traps next spring. In my neck of the woods the first big flow and start of swarming is dandelion bloom. That means traps up by mid May in the North.

I don't know where my time goes. Since I was last on I have been blessed in many ways. I was ordained as a deacon in my church. I am so glad to have my church family. I have a couple that needed a place to put a temporary cabin while they get there life together. I am renting them the top lot on my property. The few extra dollars help out and Gene does all my bush hogging, rototilling etc..with my big tractor. I can't even climb up on it so that is a real help. Tammy and I went in on 30 meat birds and we are butchering the last of them today. We are sharing the pig. Gene is really good at building pens. I have a great mentor for the bees. My lawn is mostly clover and I have tons of berry bushes. I planted a field of sunflowers that they seem to enjoy and the seeds will go to my layers this winter. Tammy and I put in an extensive garden. I keep busy. I have reunited with a cousin that I was close to when I was a kid. She lives in Erie, PA where I grew up. I am going up on Wed. for a visit and to attend a Native American Powwow in Salamanca, NY with her and her daughters on Saturday and will return home on Sunday. That is another blessing of having my tenants. They will feed for me if I need to make a trip. I know I am rambling, but have missed all of you and I promise I will check in more often.

Back
Top Bottom