A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Hello, I'm new to bees. My husband and I bought a hive and all the gear a couple of weeks ago. We've got one deep set up and ready to go, with the top feeder in place. We've got a 3# package of Italians due to ship out to us on the 12th. I'm so excited, but nervous all at the same time! I've read everything I can get my hands on, and watched a bunch of videos. Problem is, now I've got brain over-load. I need to go back and watch a video about how to install a package of bees. Wish me luck!

Thanks for that link Mr_Jeff. I've been looking for information on alternative beekeeping methods. Looks like some good stuff there!

Quote:
Glad to see others moving towards this kind of beeking....gives me someone with which to exchange ideas and to answer some questions!
smile.png

Mr. Jeff, I'm curious about the top bars. I've read a couple of different views about it but was wondering if a person could just use all 2x2s or 1x1s~or should they be 1 7/8 in. and not worry about varying sizes of bars for comb or for brood?

I am going to be opening my hive tomorrow to see what progress they have made and put on a super if they need it. I was going to try and get a deep to put on instead to give them more brood room, but I just don't have the time to go get one right now. If they still have enough room, I will go get another deep, but I have a feeling they are going to need another box already and I have the smaller super ready to go. This will only be the second time I have opened it since putting the swarm in.

Quote:
Thanks, Mr. Jeff! I read that entire website last night. It's funny... when we were looking at hives to buy, I was checking out a guy here in Michigan who makes Warre hives. I really wanted that one, but I was so confused about the frame situation. I thought Warre was the name of his family business. LOL! My husband convinced me to just get a kit from Dadant. Reading Mr. Bush's website last night was quite enlightening. I would definitely like to learn to be a natural beekeeper. This is going to be another learning opportunity in life. Thank goodness I've had animals who are patient with me as I learn. I hope the bees are as forgiving.

Quote:
Glad to see others moving towards this kind of beeking....gives me someone with which to exchange ideas and to answer some questions!
smile.png

Mr. Jeff, I'm curious about the top bars. I've read a couple of different views about it but was wondering if a person could just use all 2x2s or 1x1s~or should they be 1 7/8 in. and not worry about varying sizes of bars for comb or for brood?

I've never run top bars myself, so I only know what I have read. I think that as long as you respect bee space that you can get away with alot regarding the bars. I would love to add one or two top bar hives to my bee yard to compare them alongside langstroth hives. The higher hives might be easier on my back too.

Back
Top Bottom