A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
smile.png
My summer project is going to be researching basic bee keeping. I'd love to take this up as a hobby, since we have a few acres...just enough for family and friends.

Quote:
First the chicks, then the bees....that's how it went at our house....and we LOVE it! We started this year with two hives...already we are talking about next year's addition! Happy honey making!

My son finished the base of my half barrel top bar hive yesterday and worked some on the galvanized tin topper today. Here is the base thus far, with the entrance to the hive drilled into the plug of the barrel and sheltered by the V of the legs. With the tin topper it will have an overhang over the entrance as well.

6459_beehive_and_meaties_041.jpg

Here is the hinged lid he designed with drop down legs for converting to a work station. This lid fastens down to prevent the wind from blowing it off.

6459_beehive_and_meaties_046.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to start a hive in my yard (yes, the chickens came last year!)

I currently have two hives in my roof/attic. Is there any way that I could get them out of my roof/attic and into a really nice hive in my yard???

Thanks!

Cindy

#1California Chick :

I would love to start a hive in my yard (yes, the chickens came last year!)

I currently have two hives in my roof/attic. Is there any way that I could get them out of my roof/attic and into a really nice hive in my yard???

Thanks!

Cindy

Cindy, you will need to contact a beekeeper in your area who specializes in live removal for this job. Once the bees are removed, the area of your home where they were located will need to be sealed tightly so bees don't set up in the same space again.

There is nothing you can do to make the bees leave voluntarily, they must be physically removed (combs and all) by someone experienced in honeybee removal.

...JP​

Back
Top Bottom