A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
I got honey
wee.gif
My DH and I just spent the last 3 hours harvesting 3 gallons of honey. I was amazed at how much honey came out of only 9 frames. It really tastes good too.

See the cleanup efforts at work
51517_june_19_037.jpg

Last edited:
All I can say is WOW BYC never stops amazing me! I've learned so much about raising chickens and then stumpled upon this thread!

Last week, we found a wild (I assume you would call it wild) swarm of honey bees that made their hive within our porch roof and the siding of the house on the second floor. I would LOVE to save them as my darlin' husbands first instinct was grab the RAID (trust me, I stopped him in a hurry--not killing them if I can help it)

Soooo can someone please explain to me HOW I can get the bees to move on their own. I would love to put up a hive/box on the northwest corner of the property (3 acres) away from my coop which is located on the Southeast corner of the property. Is there any way to entice them to move? I called our local extention office but alas, other than destroying them, they were much help. No one locally has bees so there wasn't any help there either.

Any advice on how I can get them to leave our residence and take up residence in their own place?

Try looking up a local or semi local beekeepers association. (where are you located?) You will need some help to relocate them if it is possible. They will not relocate on their own without moving the queen and that means opening up the hive. You will need some help from an experienced beekeeper to do that. Your best bet may be to contact an exterminator sorry to say. Bees in the siding is one of the most challenging situations.

Here is a link to the beekeeping organizations, by state. Find your state and find the most local club. Someone there can help you (I have read that sometimes clubs aren't very responsive, shame on them, up here you'll definitely get help!). The problem with getting them out of walls is that most beeks who do swarm removals don't do repairs, but some do.

Parkers*momma :

All I can say is WOW BYC never stops amazing me! I've learned so much about raising chickens and then stumpled upon this thread!

Last week, we found a wild (I assume you would call it wild) swarm of honey bees that made their hive within our porch roof and the siding of the house on the second floor. I would LOVE to save them as my darlin' husbands first instinct was grab the RAID (trust me, I stopped him in a hurry--not killing them if I can help it)

Soooo can someone please explain to me HOW I can get the bees to move on their own. I would love to put up a hive/box on the northwest corner of the property (3 acres) away from my coop which is located on the Southeast corner of the property. Is there any way to entice them to move? I called our local extention office but alas, other than destroying them, they were much help. No one locally has bees so there wasn't any help there either.

Any advice on how I can get them to leave our residence and take up residence in their own place?

welcome-byc.gif

The advise from the previous poster is good ~ note that you probably will need to open the wall to get them out alive or dead. If you take the unfortunate route of killing them you should still open the wall to thoroughly remove all honey, comb and dead bees. If you do not clean it out it will draw vermin such as bugs and mice which will feed on the remains. The cavity must be cleaned and every tiny hole sealed or you run the risk of a new swarm being attracted to the same spot by the scent of honey & wax.

Good luck and Bee~utiful day!
hivewithbeesanimated.gif

Last edited:
I've been talkign to my husband abotu beekeeping, we got 48 acres and the back land at the very end of the horse pen is all wildflowers. I told him it would be great for bees and we would benefit so much from them too. He is adamant I am just crazy!! So its been three years I've been bringing it up and still not a go with him. I am thinking I might just wait til next spring and then do it wihtout telling him. Which is something I don't often do because I really like to have my husband on board on all household decisions. :-( but I really want to do the beekeeping. My plan is to wear him down with info and facts throughout summer and see what happens next spring!!

Quote:
Be aware that bees DO NOT like horses. Make sure to put your hive (if you do it) well away from them or they'll be miserable (the horses, I mean). If you contact your local bee club (find it via this link) and get advice from local beekeepers who will be willing to help you get started.

I picked up my first bee order (a 4 frame nuc) on April 24 and today (June 23), they SWARMED! I can't believe it! They are about 50 feet up in the top of a tree...no hope of getting them down. Ugh! I didn't think swarming was supposed to happen after only 2 months of beekeeping!

Back
Top Bottom