A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
We're not planning on harvesting any honey this year - going to let the girls keep it all. Do we need to do anything with the frames that are full?

is this a 4-H project or is just something he really enjoys around the farm? i think i was about his age(it's hard to say with him in a veil
wink.png
) when i started entering my honey in competitions at the TN State Fair, but i never got involved with 4-H, which i now regret. he's totally adorable and you ought to be very proud of him!

I've been mildly curious about honey bees for a while now. Jacob was the only one of my five kids that expressed an interest. I explained to him that he would be doing all of the work (I have RA and can't lift much - definitely not a frame of honey!). We attended a local bee club meeting and decided to take the plunge. I also thought it could be a cool 4H project but we haven't been able to raise anyone else's interest. We just had fair sign up last week and he did sign up for beekeeping. The fair book did have beekeeping listed and projects are pretty much open. He can enter honey, food made with honey, informational exhibit, etc. Basically the entry just needs to be related to honey bees or honey. He's keeping notes about both hives and I've got pics. I think he is planning to enter his notes from these first few months with the bees.

Jacob just turned 13 last month. He's not my oldest but he is definitely the one who is most open to trying new things
smile.png

yep, 12-13 is when i got started! and here i am at 27, back in the bee biz! i remember being about 13 and giving a demonstration for my bee club about honey extraction. i was the youngest person there by about 25 years... i thought it was the coolest thing EVER.

i have this secret, dark fear that, if i ever have children, they won't be at all interested in all the wonderful things i love. i mean, i'm sure i'd adjust and love them just the same, but i dream of children like Jacob who would want to get out there and do it all with me. i'm trying to mold my niece into my own personal little shadow- she's only 8 months old, but she's already got muck boots and an egg basket!

like i said, the word "propolis" in a child's voice is like music to my ears!

Quote:
One of the neatest things about having children, is YOU become interested in what THEY are interested in! That opens up a whole new world you never dreamed existed.
wink.png

It's true. I never would've become involved with 4H and poultry and duck and lambs and goats. I would've missed out on a lot of neat experiences. Of course I would probably also not be as broke as we are, but I wouldn't take back any of it.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's true. I never would've become involved with 4H and poultry and duck and lambs and goats. I would've missed out on a lot of neat experiences. Of course I would probably also not be as broke as we are, but I wouldn't take back any of it.

well, great parents do. guess you guys are great parents
ya.gif

I've been pretty busy lately and hadn't been able to check my bee package since I fed them last...the only time I fed them. Today my youngest son offered to remove the feeder and change the follower board for me to allow for more room in the central part of the hive in case the bees needed more room.

He didn't gear up or anything...just walked up and casually opened that hive, removed the feeder, moved the top bars around and even raised one of the central ones to reveal some honeycomb...it was very pale honey, I'm thinking clover honey. The bees didn't even get excited and this was about midday. If that had been me, they probably would have stung me to death!!!
hmm.png

I want to inspect the comb structures more closely as it looked as if they were not building the combs where I expected. I may very well be a mess in there but, as long as they are happy and will make enough food for the winter and don't want to move out, I'm happy also.

Just a quick question....Jon said there were many bugs in the bottom of the hive...I saw one come out and it was brown, slender and about 2.5 cm long with a forked tail. Any ideas about the type of bug, is it harmful to the bees?

Quote:
The bug sounds like an earwig ~ it is not uncommon to find them in the bottom of hive or under the top cover. They will not bother healthy bees and are harmless to humans.

240px-Earwig_on_white_background.jpg

It is great that you son feels comfortable in working the hive with out gear ~ however he should always have smoke available to use if necessary. If for some reason the hive would be agitated, due to weather, odors, sounds/vibrations, loss of queen, etc. he could have received a few stings or more. Even the most seasoned beekeepers I know always have smoke available when they open the hive. It is safer for you and the bees.

Last edited:
Thank you!!!! That is exactly the bugs and Jon said there were many, so I was afraid I had some type of infestation.

Yes, I tried to tell him but you know boys...must learn the hard way!
roll.png
He doesn't feel pain like normal folks, so it probably wouldn't affect him much. We also use him to test the electric fence.....
tongue.png
lol.png

Isn't this thread the neatest little learning tool? I'm lovin' it!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom