A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Unfortunately there are no classes around here, nor have I been able to find any clubs. But the guy I got my stuff from is local so I'm sure I can pick his brain - he seems to really be into bees and is dedicated to getting them in as many places as he can.

My advice is to leave the hive alone for a week after you install your package. When I bought my first package, I looked after two days and they swarmed. All I saw was dollar bills flying around my head.

If you need more videos, Brushy Mountain Bee Farm has several on their website. I have no relation to them other than the fact that I bought some extraction equipment from them.

Well I installed my package bees today. It was quite an experience! I only got stung once - I guess my veil was laying against my neck and bam! Ah well, live and learn. Other than that it seemed to go pretty smoothly. Though they seemed a lot more upset about the whole process than the ones in the video! But I'm already finding out the truth of what I had already heard: Ask 100 beekeepers what's the best way to do x and you'll get 101 answers!

So what does anyone think about using pollen substitute patties when starting a new hive?

Well I installed my package bees today. It was quite an experience! I only got stung once - I guess my veil was laying against my neck and bam! Ah well, live and learn. Other than that it seemed to go pretty smoothly. Though they seemed a lot more upset about the whole process than the ones in the video! But I'm already finding out the truth of what I had already heard: Ask 100 beekeepers what's the best way to do x and you'll get 101 answers!

So what does anyone think about using pollen substitute patties when starting a new hive?

This time of year I would not use pollen patties as there is so much natural pollen out there, they really don't need it. I always do feed my new packages, especially if they are going in on undrawn comb. The bees must consume approx 10 pounds of honey to make 1 pound of wax! They need to draw comb ASAP so the queen can start laying and build up the hive population.

I currently have 1 hive stronger then the other. Beekeeping is a little stressful to me. I am worried they will not make it.
fl.gif

re: pollen patties...

it's always a good idea to look at what the particular hive needs, rather than go just on time of year...
If I don't have frames of honey to give a package, I'll feed them a few days worth of syrup - I want them to settle in the box, not pick up and take off. but I watch the bees come and go... if I see pollen coming in on their legs, I know they're harvesting, and likely settling in. if I don't see pollen, I might feed a little.

look at the bees, let them tell you what they need.

Quote:
I currently have 1 hive stronger then the other. Beekeeping is a little stressful to me. I am worried they will not make it.
fl.gif

lots of things are stressful if you're not experienced yet...

being able to tell that one is not doing as well as the other is part of the reason for having 2 hives - so the method is working! especially helpful if both hives are the same breed of bee (because some breeds area earlier starters and some are faster at build up and some are more conservative in building up... )
now you just need to figure out why.

is your weak hive queen laying? how's her brood pattern? are there pupae? are they putting up supplies at all? what about signs of pests, mites, hive beetles? does the brood look healthy? do the workers look healthy (no deformed wings, no hopping bees that don't fly well)? are there lots of dead bees in the hive or outside the landing area? does it look like they swarmed and you've only got half a hive left? lots of things you can observe here, something should give you a clue as to the problem.

do you have a mentor who could look at the hive with you?

re: pollen patties...

it's always a good idea to look at what the particular hive needs, rather than go just on time of year...
If I don't have frames of honey to give a package, I'll feed them a few days worth of syrup - I want them to settle in the box, not pick up and take off. but I watch the bees come and go... if I see pollen coming in on their legs, I know they're harvesting, and likely settling in. if I don't see pollen, I might feed a little.

look at the bees, let them tell you what they need.
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I started them off with a gallon of syrup in a frame feeder. The guy I got my bees from says that will last about a week. But the book I got also suggested feeding them pollen patties for extra protein when they were starting out. I'll try to observe them more closely.

Back
Top Bottom