A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    They're a reputable site, but as with any auction there will always be a bit of "buyer beware"...not different than buying off of eBay.

2. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    Yes, I have purchased many chicks from Greenfire this way with zero issues for 3+ years now. Fancy Chick posts there also on occasion.

Christine

1 person likes this.
  3. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    I'm neutral , but leaning towards a negative towards Greenfire Farms. Overall, I am satisfied. I bought Rhodebars and Bielefelders from Greenfire Farms. Rhodebar chicks arrived nice and healthy.

I have worked at a commercial chicken house before, 2 actually. I paid almost $1000 for a pair of 6 to 8 weeks old Bielefelders from Rare Breed Auctions. A few days later, I was notified they didn't have. I agreed to 9 day old chicks. Which was probably a better deal in the long run. My reason for being dissatisfied with them, why advertise what you don't have? Yes, both Rhodebars and Bielefelders were bought off of Rare Breed Chickens.

I'm probably in the minority of non satisfied customers. I have talked to several others who were misled or lied to by Greenfire Farms. That is my only problem with them, not being honest. You couldn't ask for better customer service.

Now you have 2 pictures of the situation.

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I have heard far too many similar stories. I got my Rhodebars from a lady that bout them as day olds and when they started laying green eggs she was so upset. They offered her no help, no refund. So she gave me all the babies and then she gave away her rooster and kept the birds for just layers. She was very mad and would never order from them again.

I don't think you are in the minority, I think they are the only source for some breeds and people don't have a choice.

5. salmonfood

salmonfood Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    North East GA
    I decided to buy the bielefelder cockerel. I am going to bread him with my black Australorps and hopefully get some highly productive large egg layers.

Now I guess I am in the market for a Bielefelder hen or two, or 6.

Can anyone point me in the right direction locally?

-North East GA

thanks

6. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Does the person selling the cockerel not have a flock? Can you get some more of the breed from them?

7. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    I have purchased Blue Bredas, Sulmtalers, Bielefelders, BCMs, Basque Hens, Isbars, and Rhodebar chicks from GFF since 2011, and I have only lost a few on the trip from Florida to CA. Transactions were easy, extras sent, and shipping was only $35 each time. I still have many of these breeds. I also like Fancy Chick too for Orpingtons. They have been impressive -- fat happy chicks and no losses.

Christine

1 person likes this.
  8. salmonfood

salmonfood Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    North East GA
    The person selling the cockerel has a large flock of pullets, but he did not want to part with them. I think he was worried about competition since he makes a lot of money selling hatching eggs with his other rare breeds.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  9. texasmomma

texasmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    My bielefelders have been hatching today. They are taking their own sweet time. So far, three are out. One needed A LOT of help. I also hatched a bunch of bielefelder X cream legbar crosses. I'm not sure which are the bielefelders. LOL

I'll get a pic when more of them hatch.

10. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Yah Pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by