A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jmstar74

jmstar74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    I am new in chicken genetics, but have bred horses for years. You do not have to worry about inbreeding coefficients in chickens? Please do not take my question as rude, I am trying to learn all I can before deciding on breeder and ordering my chicks. [​IMG] Thank you for answering my questions~

Also, has anyone gotten chicks from Canada? Looking at a breeder there as well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

Inbreeding is not as big an issue with chickens. We try not to breed siblings but no the to son and daugter to father is ok. The gentics will be different from ach breeder so you should be able to work with them just fine. Mammals are different and you wouldn't want to breed them this way.

3. jmstar74

Mar 21, 2013

Awesome! Thank you for the info!
    Who would you suggest getting chicks from? We are not set up for hatching eggs.

4. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    Just my opinion, but I'd consider going straight to Greenfire Farms. When I contacted them about possibly buying chicks they assured me I could purchase from both bloodlines to maximize genetic diversity. If you choose to purchase from other breeders, be sure to question them about which strain(s) they have.

1 person likes this.
  5. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    One thing I've noticed about this breed so far...the chicks are very quiet compared to other breeds I'm familiar with. I've raised hatchery Australorps, hatchery Barred Rocks, Silkies, and Naked Necks, and these Biels are by far the quietest and most content little chicks I've ever seen. They race around the brooder doing their thing making only the faintest little peeps unless something is actually wrong. I find myself checking on them frequently just to make sure they're still alive, LOL. And they're super quick! How do those little legs move so darn fast? [​IMG]

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I don't know who has chicks just yet. I will in a couple of monofs. Chicken hill might have some. She is sending me a cockerel. Doug Austin here in TN has them. plus there are more on this thread with them. I would get them from two different breeders.....all originated from GFF. they are just too high for me....never bought anything from them and never will for several reasons.

7. jmstar74

Mar 21, 2013

Thank you I will call them later today! :weee

8. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Another place is Omega hills farm.

1 person likes this.
  9. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    Go to Rare Breed Auctions. Greenfire sells there on a regular basis and you can get a box of chicks there if you win for a fraction of their advertised website prices.

[​IMG]

10. jmstar74

Mar 21, 2013
    I was looking on there today, they are a safe site?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by