A Bielefelder Thread !

I am new in chicken genetics, but have bred horses for years. You do not have to worry about inbreeding coefficients in chickens? Please do not take my question as rude, I am trying to learn all I can before deciding on breeder and ordering my chicks.
jumpy.gif
Thank you for answering my questions~

Also, has anyone gotten chicks from Canada? Looking at a breeder there as well.

Last edited:
I am new in chicken genetics, but have bred horses for years. You do not have to worry about inbreeding coefficients in chickens? Please do not take my question as rude, I am trying to learn all I can before deciding on breeder and ordering my chicks. :jumpy   Thank you for answering my questions~

Also, has anyone gotten chicks from Canada? Looking at a breeder there as well.

Inbreeding is not as big an issue with chickens. We try not to breed siblings but no the to son and daugter to father is ok. The gentics will be different from ach breeder so you should be able to work with them just fine. Mammals are different and you wouldn't want to breed them this way.

Inbreeding is not as big an issue with chickens. We try not to breed siblings but no the to son and daugter to father is ok. The gentics will be different from ach breeder so you should be able to work with them just fine. Mammals are different and you wouldn't want to breed them this way.

Awesome! Thank you for the info!
Who would you suggest getting chicks from? We are not set up for hatching eggs.

Awesome! Thank you for the info!
Who would you suggest getting chicks from? We are not set up for hatching eggs.

Just my opinion, but I'd consider going straight to Greenfire Farms. When I contacted them about possibly buying chicks they assured me I could purchase from both bloodlines to maximize genetic diversity. If you choose to purchase from other breeders, be sure to question them about which strain(s) they have.

One thing I've noticed about this breed so far...the chicks are very quiet compared to other breeds I'm familiar with. I've raised hatchery Australorps, hatchery Barred Rocks, Silkies, and Naked Necks, and these Biels are by far the quietest and most content little chicks I've ever seen. They race around the brooder doing their thing making only the faintest little peeps unless something is actually wrong. I find myself checking on them frequently just to make sure they're still alive, LOL. And they're super quick! How do those little legs move so darn fast?
jumpy.gif

I don't know who has chicks just yet. I will in a couple of monofs. Chicken hill might have some. She is sending me a cockerel. Doug Austin here in TN has them. plus there are more on this thread with them. I would get them from two different breeders.....all originated from GFF. they are just too high for me....never bought anything from them and never will for several reasons.

Just my opinion, but I'd consider going straight to Greenfire Farms. When I contacted them about possibly buying chicks they assured me I could purchase from both bloodlines to maximize genetic diversity. If you choose to purchase from other breeders, be sure to question them about which strain(s) they have.

Thank you I will call them later today! :weee

Back
Top Bottom