A Bielefelder Thread !

I would really like to get some diversity in my flock. If anyone is near the North Texas area, please let me know. I'd love to trade eggs.
Getting eggs from your area will probably still be closely related to your birds. I would suggest going out of state.
I have birds from N.CA, S.CA, PA, TN, AZ, TX and have had decent luck hatchings shipped eggs if that's an option.

Getting eggs from your area will probably still be closely related to your birds. I would suggest going out of state.
I have birds from N.CA, S.CA, PA, TN, AZ, TX and have had decent luck hatchings shipped eggs if that's an option.

True that they are probably closely related. Though, I think that most of them are pretty closely related due to the fact that Greenfire only brought in two imports. I think that mine is the 2011 import.

My post office is terrible. I can get a 100% hatch with local eggs, but I run about 10% at best with shipped eggs. :(

Try FedEx. When I decided to spend the extra and use them, I got 11 of 13 and 9 of 13 to hatch. They were from the same breeder so it may have just been her, but she is 3000 miles away so I was impressed!

Try FedEx. When I decided to spend the extra and use them, I got 11 of 13 and 9 of 13 to hatch. They were from the same breeder so it may have just been her, but she is 3000 miles away so I was impressed!

I may just have to do that. :)

I am driving to Greenville, SC mid May, so maybe I can pick some up from someone on my way back to Texas. I'm not in a super hurry to add diversity and I have a tiny incubator right now.

New to chickens and to the forum. I put in my order for 3 females and one male Bielefelder chickens today and I'm sooo excited. I have been reading this thread ALL DAY and unless I missed it I didn't notice anyone specifically say how much their chicks are eating... I've read that they're little piggies compared to other breeds, but as a complete newbie to poultry of any kind, I don't have any point of reference. What should I expect for my 4 birds per week? Per day? AND my chicken friend said something about fermenting feed but she didn't know if that was an option for chicks?
Thanks y'all!
@Sylvester017 already quoted my other post to you, but I'd like to add a couple things. Just prior to hatching my Biels I'd hatched some NN Turkens and have tracked feed consumption for both breeds for comparison. So far my Biels are eating far less than the NNs did. A few of my NN chicks would literally fall asleep in the feed dish while eating, wake up and feed again without moving. Talk about gluttonous! I do feed all of my chicks high quality, organic, hi-protein food from the start, and I do ferment the food past the first week. Fermenting the food results in less food consumption overall while improving nutrition, and for me that's the ultimate goal. Additionally, on days 1-7 I add a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic and apple cider vinegar (ACV) to their water every day.

From hatch until one week old the Biel chicks ate rather conservatively, literally consuming only ounces of 24% protein food and a couple mashed hard-boiled eggs across that entire week. Once they started scratching the dry food out of the dish I switched them to the FF and also began supplying them with chick grit. I'm not weighing the amount of feed or anything, but so far this week I'd guess that my nine Biel chicks (6 cockerels, 3 pullets) have been consuming between 1/2 and 1 cup of FF per day depending upon their level of activity. I will sometimes add 1-3 tablespoons of dry food every few days to their feed dish for them to scratch out into their pine bedding, which they LOVE to do, to give them something to "forage". Or, since I keep my FF on the drier side, I'll sprinkle some of the food onto the bedding for them to have fun with. For a treat I also give them meal worms, which I sprinkle on the bedding, and then watch them go crazy. I'll also be adding fresh greens from my garden this week in the form of kale and Swiss chard for them to consume as they get maximum nutrients from fresh food.

My theory is that hi-protein food may cost a bit more, but protein is one of the primary nutritional components these little guys need for both body and feather development, so if they're getting more protein from a smaller amount of food, they'll actually eat less as their bodies are getting what the need. Once their growth rates have peaked I'll ease off the protein as they simply won't need as much. It's what works for me here in warm, sunny AZ and makes me happy, but each of us must find what works best for us. If I lived in a colder climate I might feed them more carbohydrate to help them keep warmer.

@Sylvester017
 already quoted my other post to you, but I'd like to add a couple things. Just prior to hatching my Biels I'd hatched some NN Turkens and have tracked feed consumption for both breeds for comparison. So far my Biels are eating far less than the NNs did. A few of my NN chicks would literally fall asleep in the feed dish while eating, wake up and feed again without moving. Talk about gluttonous! I do feed all of my chicks high quality, organic, hi-protein food from the start, and I do ferment the food past the first week. Fermenting the food results in less food consumption overall while improving nutrition, and for me that's the ultimate goal. Additionally, on days 1-7 I add a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic and apple cider vinegar (ACV) to their water every day. 

From hatch until one week old the Biel chicks ate rather conservatively, literally consuming only ounces of 24% protein food and a couple mashed hard-boiled eggs across that entire week. Once they started scratching the dry food out of the dish I switched them to the FF and also began supplying them with chick grit. I'm not weighing the amount of feed or anything, but so far this week I'd guess that my nine Biel chicks (6 cockerels, 3 pullets) have been consuming between 1/2 and 1 cup of FF per day depending upon their level of activity. I will sometimes add 1-3 tablespoons of dry food every few days to their feed dish for them to scratch out into their pine bedding, which they LOVE to do, to give them something to "forage". Or, since I keep my FF on the drier side, I'll sprinkle some of the food onto the bedding for them to have fun with. For a treat I also give them meal worms, which I sprinkle on the bedding, and then watch them go crazy. I'll also be adding fresh greens from my garden this week in the form of kale and Swiss chard for them to consume as they get maximum nutrients from fresh food. 

My theory is that hi-protein food may cost a bit more, but protein is one of the primary nutritional components these little guys need for both body and feather development, so if they're getting more protein from a smaller amount of food, they'll actually eat less as their bodies are getting what the need. Once their growth rates have peaked I'll ease off the protein as they simply won't need as much. It's what works for me here in warm, sunny AZ and makes me happy, but each of us must find what works best for us. If I lived in a colder climate I might feed them more carbohydrate to help them keep warmer. 

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for! Seems like with the boosted nutrient absorption from the ff plus the fact that it fills them up so they eat less, everyone would do it!! I'll definitely be doing this.

I have my first bielefeldet eggs in lockdown right now... Could someone post a picture (from top) of a male and female day old chick? I haven't been able to find any to look at. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom