A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Sand paper or a nail file both work. I would personally not use a metal file. I would use a pair of nail clippers first and then smooth and shape the beak with a nail file.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cody A

Cody A Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2014
    N. Louisiana
    Desertchic, I don't think your right about this.
    Honestly I don't understand how this could be management or the birds not wearing them down themselves. Since these two birds were small chicks they've had longer bills than the others. I have 11 pullets and 11 cockerels all from the same hatch, all from the same brooder, all the same age. The birds aren't lacking vigor, they're scared.

3. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Someone suggested to me using an electric dognail file or Dremel (Drexel?) fine-filing electric tool to file down the beaks or toenails. Hope it's not scissors-beak you're talking about.

4. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Hi Cody A - If your two birds have unusually long beaks be sure you don't use them in a breeding project to possibly pass on that undesirable trait to future generations but you probably already know that [​IMG]

5. Cody A

Cody A Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2014
    N. Louisiana
    Thanks Sylvester, I may try nail clippers and an emery board. I was reading here on the forum and found where others had birds with this issue. They could actually break their beak and injure themselves if not trimmed. Definitely won't be breeding these girls with the long beaks.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  6. Sylvester017

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Every hen seems to have some sort of minor issue -- fluffy butts that need frequent shampooing, or nails/beaks that need frequent trimming, or feathered feet that require maintenance, roos that need spur maintenance, OCD hens that break toenails while scratching in a nestbox and need plexiglass bottoms to keep from snagging toenails, frostbite combs, etc etc. Every one of my chickens has some sort of minor issue we have to keep on top of but no different than having any other kind of pet in the family!

2 people like this.
  7. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I apologize if my post came across as if I was suggesting "mismanagement". That was not my intent. I was merely trying to point out that it can be easily rectified through changes in management to keep the birds alive and healthy...whether by filing the beaks a single time or offering something like a seed block that may tempt them sufficiently to help them wear their beaks down naturally.

As far as breeding is concerned, having not experienced this problem myself, I can only share what I've heard others say, which is usually the suggestion of a "slow learner", a trait many chose not to risk perpetuating but others aren't bothered by. I've never come across anything in my research and reading to suggest that this is some sort of genetic defect in and of itself, but merely one of behavior. Whether or not to breed these birds is, as far as I know, a personal choice.

8. hereorthere

hereorthere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Hi Everyone! So quick question.....I was told that Bielfelder eggs are similar to Welsummer eggs in that they start out a lighter brown and then get darker. Is that true?

9. RFR of CA

RFR of CA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Herald California
    They have a wide color range. Mine go from a light pinky brown to a dark brown that matches my lighter marans eggs.

1 person likes this.
  10. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    I believe the first eggs they laid this season were darker than they are now. I Mine are getting lighter the longer they lay which is how it usually works. I also didn't know that about Welsummer eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by