A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are my favorite books of all time. I've read each of them it at least five times. The movie for "Atlas Shrugged" paled in comparison. [​IMG]

Unfotunately, the "John Galt" line will never be for me. He's just not a breeder. Neither is Taggart...though he got his name specifically because he had to be rescued. Rearden has potential though. I'm hoping that the six viable Biel eggs in my incubator right now will result in a "Dagny". [​IMG]

2. DesertChic

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I'm not disputing your position on the hereditary aspect, but merely saying I've never found anything that supports it. Genetics are tricky, and I'm certainly NOT a genetics expert. [​IMG] I'm merely sharing what I've read. All of the literature I've read, which is a lot, all say it's not genetic. ??? Personally, I can see the logic behind at least suspecting some kind of genetic link and if it were me, I probably wouldn't breed them...or I'd breed them once with caution. At least you know you can file their beaks now to keep them from starving to death. [​IMG]

3. DesertChic

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
  4. elizmartin

elizmartin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    N.W. Washington
    Thankyou, i was having problems also finding viable seed. Its almost like regular feed seed has been treated or irradiated to prevent sprouting….Anyone with information here????

PS, Desert Chic, I agree that the beak issue is minor, it just that with the many birds that are available that it is best to hatch the future from the best and healthiest and the most defect free. thanks for Your input.

1 person likes this.
  5. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

where are you?

6. Dull Hoe Farm

Dull Hoe Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Southeastern Tennessee area. The local co-ops say they can't get any Barley until late summer, and shipping quotes from online places are pretty expensive.

7. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    What about the barley in the bulk section of your local grocery store? Will it not sprout?

8. johnderosa1

johnderosa1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    NJ
    Hi, just wondering what color skin a bielefelder should have?

9. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    I was going to say file down the beaks but I guess you were already told.
    Beautiful birds !

10. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Some of my babies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]