A Bielefelder Thread !

IF you work and spend time with any chicken when they're young until they're about a year old they can be very sweet. I have a leghorn roo that's an absolute sweetheart.

We spend a lot of time socializing and interacting with our birds - more pets than for utility. Our White Leg was a sweetie for 3 years - definitely the alpha hen and she was kind to her flockmates except she put the mean Marans in her place. We immediately re-homed the vicious Marans who attacked the Silkies too. At 3 y/o the gentle White Leg came out of her 3 year molt with a very aggressive behavior toward all her flockmates. Her behavior escalated and by two weeks we had to re-home her. She was put in a mixed layer flock and became the alpha of all those assertive girls. She was much happier and had no gentle or smaller birds to pick on. We had a sweet Buff Leg pullet but at 1 y/o she went bonkers on her flockmates and was meaner than the White Leg ever was - she was chasing all the gentle crested/bearded/muffed birds pulling out their head and face feathers mercilessly so she was immediately re-homed. These were pets and sweet as pie and then one day they went bonkers. Now we don't keep any straight or floppy-combed breeds or over 5-lb birds. Seems like all the pea/walnut combed breeds (or NO-comb breed like the Breda) are the non-combative types. As a rule our crested, bearded, muffed, feather-footed, or 5-toed birds are the non-combative gentles. So nice not to find bloody or balding birds in the flock now that we narrowed the breeds to reputed non-combative types! Sure - less or average-sized eggs but the peaceful flock is so worth it. We even stay away from the known gentle giants like Bielies, Brahma, Faverolles, Jersey Giants, Sussex, or even Dorkings because we don't want to take the chance that these larger birds might be tempted to bully - it's a chicken thing - so we keep the weights 5-lb-&-under just to be sure.

I don't keep or breed mean roos in any breed. They will breed it forward. Any line of birds can have a bad apple. Cull that bird an move on.

I breed the following
Rocks (5 colors)
Marans (7 colors)
Orpingtons (8 colors)
CCL
Leghorns (6 colors)
Wyandottes (4 colors)
Silkies (10 colors)
Ameraucanas (3 colors)
Bielefelders
Rhodebars
Easter Eggers

NONE are mean. I don't play with my chickens since I have about 800 ATM. So no special attention, I just don't breed for mean.

Wonderful assortment! What are the 6 colors in Legs? I adore Legs but in our small gentles backyard flock the hens eventually became too assertive but I still LUV the breed! I assume you don't keep all 11 breeds in one giant flock?

I don't keep or breed mean roos in any breed.  They will breed it forward.  Any line of birds can have a bad apple.  Cull that bird an move on. 

I breed the following
Rocks (5 colors)
Marans (7 colors)
Orpingtons (8 colors)
CCL
Leghorns (6 colors)
Wyandottes (4 colors)
Silkies (10 colors)
Ameraucanas (3 colors)
Bielefelders
Rhodebars
Easter Eggers

NONE are mean.  I don't play with my chickens since I have about 800 ATM.  So no special attention, I just don't breed for mean.
Pretty impressive Donna. I didnt realize you had so many varieties! I've been lucky so far.....all my roosters have been non cofrontational... I agree that aggression towards people is an automatic cull. I have my eye on one of my new BCM cockerels. He seemed to be acting "protective" when I was taking the pullets out of the growout pen they shared. He is an eventual cull for other reasons but even moreso now...

I used to breed marans right before they got real popular -- over a several year period, I probably had several hundred adults. I started raising them for the eggs, but they were actually a much better meat bird than a layer, and I had a customer who had a heritage meat business who wanted all the male chicks I could hatch.

I don't remember the roosters as being memorably mean, but I ate anything that spurred me after the second offense, which likely eliminated anything with cranky tendencies from the gene pool before they reached 'memorable' status. (On the first offense the rooster got caught, and I put an a orange zip tie around his leg so I could identify him later; after the second offense he went in a another pen to be fattened up, LOL.) The hens were definitely fiesty, but that wasn't an issue when they were in pens all of the same type. The roosters did get along with each other fairly well, which I liked.

Some of the hatchery orp hens I have now are way more cranky than the marans were.

I look forward to chickens who are calm and friendly -- I just won an auction on eBay for Biele eggs! :)

I used to breed marans right before they got real popular -- over a several year period, I probably had several hundred adults. I started raising them for the eggs, but they were actually a much better meat bird than a layer, and I had a customer who had a heritage meat business who wanted all the male chicks I could hatch.

I don't remember the roosters as being memorably mean, but I ate anything that spurred me after the second offense, which likely eliminated anything with cranky tendencies from the gene pool before they reached 'memorable' status. (On the first offense the rooster got caught, and I put an a orange zip tie around his leg so I could identify him later; after the second offense he went in a another pen to be fattened up, LOL.) The hens were definitely fiesty, but that wasn't an issue when they were in pens all of the same type. The roosters did get along with each other fairly well, which I liked.

Some of the hatchery orp hens I have now are way more cranky than the marans were.

I look forward to chickens who are calm and friendly -- I just won an auction on eBay for Biele eggs! :)

You will love them! I had a team of vet students tour my farm yesterday and they were all drooling over the Bielies and talking about how calm they were. We were joking when they went to draw blood (AI test) that they were chicken royalty and above such manhandling. Such a cool and easy going breed.

You will love them! I had a team of vet students tour my farm yesterday and they were all drooling over the Bielies and talking about how calm they were. We were joking when they went to draw blood (AI test) that they were chicken royalty and above such manhandling. Such a cool and easy going breed.

I have high hopes for them, based on all the reviews I've read. :)

Is there any hope of them being added to the APA any time soon? I'd love to show, eventually.

One of the rroos we have now attacked my father this morning. He's going to be Darn Rooster Enchiladas. (Insert profanity of your choice for "Darn.") We have so many guests around here that we just can't have aggressive birds. On the other hand, beautiful and impressively large chickens that will allow people to handle them will go over well with our visitors and neighbors.

Quote:
NO... they each have their own pen. Can breed them if they are running together. I have production White (the friendliest of the leghorns), Dark Brown Rose comb, Isabelle, Mille Fleur, Splits with the Isabelle SC and DB RC, several project pens.... some are not set up right now. The color Leghorns are SPASTIC. Working on that.

I have high hopes for them, based on all the reviews I've read. :)

Is there any hope of them being added to the APA any time soon? I'd love to show, eventually.

One of the rroos we have now attacked my father this morning. He's going to be Darn Rooster Enchiladas. (Insert profanity of your choice for "Darn.") We have so many guests around here that we just can't have aggressive birds. On the other hand, beautiful and impressively large chickens that will allow people to handle them will go over well with our visitors and neighbors.

Even my most "finicky" Biel rooster lets me handle him with ease. He's one of my biggest boys and sometimes clucks his displeasure when I pick him up to move him around but has never shown an ounce of aggression towards me. And he was positively gentle with the younger White Rock pullets I introduced to the flock weeks back. This breed really never fails to impress me.

By comparison I had a Barred Rock rooster, hatchery stock, that had been incredibly sweet until shortly after puberty and then became the bane of my existence. I was still in the learning curve for butchering so I kept him around longer than I would've liked, but in the end....he was delicious prepared in my pressure cooker with a nice, rich fig sauce.

Our 8 year old son handles our 2 1/2 year old Bielefelder Rooster and even though he prefers not to be handled he has never shown any aggressive behavior. The hens will come stand next to you and can be picked up and handled without any problems as well.

My boys are 12 weeks old today, and they still come up to be snuggled (I tuck them under my "wing"), while the other roosters run around being macho.

My pullet is the calmest bird I've ever had. She also gets picked on by the boys a lot...

Back
Top Bottom