A Bielefelder Thread !

These are great backyard chickens. If I could only have one rooster the Bielefelder would be one of my first choices. They are beautiful to look at and very friendly but they lack a little in overall egg production. Easy keepers not flighty, not aggressive, and not overly vocal. If the hens laid an egg a day they would be perfect chicken in my book.

From my experience the Bielefelders tend to decrease production around 3 yrs of age but still lay only sparingly.
So how often do they lay? and when should I expect them to start laying?

This is a great question, but I suspect you may get widely divergent responses. I've heard from some people that their birds start laying around 28 weeks, but mine didn't start until 44+ weeks old. Now that they've started though, I get 5-6 per bird per week....and they're BIG eggs. These girls didn't start out with pullet-sized eggs, but started at over 2 ounces per egg.

Great answer from DesertChic because you will get varying answers because there are a lot of variables and personally I have found the hatch date to make some difference. Typically if hatched early spring they will start laying late summer early fall 6-9 months but that is not a chiseled in stone fact. Stress, feed, water, temperature outside daylight hours all factor in. But as she said once they start they can lay an egg a day or every other day and they are truly extra large.

Great answer from DesertChic because you will get varying answers because there are a lot of variables and personally I have found the hatch date to make some difference. Typically if hatched early spring they will start laying late summer early fall 6-9 months but that is not a chiseled in stone fact. Stress, feed, water, temperature outside daylight hours all factor in. But as she said once they start they can lay an egg a day or every other day and they are truly extra large.
Good to know, good to know. I'm hoping to set them on the 10th or 11th of next month. They should be shipped out on the 8th.

This is a great question, but I suspect you may get widely divergent responses. I've heard from some people that their birds start laying around 28 weeks, but mine didn't start until 44+ weeks old. Now that they've started though, I get 5-6 per bird per week....and they're BIG eggs. These girls didn't start out with pullet-sized eggs, but started at over 2 ounces per egg.

COOL! Just goes to show that anything good IS worth waiting for!!!!!!!

Good to know, good to know. I'm hoping to set them on the 10th or 11th of next month. They should be shipped out on the 8th.
Where are you getting them from? I have purchased live chicks. I have two from a breeder in OH that are 10 wks and 1 survivor of a rough shipping from VA. that is 8 1/2 wks old. I am getting 12 more on Thursday as replacement for those that did not make it.

Where are you getting them from? I have purchased live chicks. I have two from a breeder in OH that are 10 wks and 1 survivor of a rough shipping from VA. that is 8 1/2 wks old. I am getting 12 more on Thursday as replacement for those that did not make it. 

I got them from Papa Brooder on here. 12 didn't make it that is sad.

Last year was pretty rough for me getting shipped chicks. When we all meet up soon in Wa and Idaho I will tell you all about it. 2016 WILL be a better chicken year for me!!!! LOL

Yes, a better chicken year for all I hope. I've been hearing a lot about animal attacks and messed up eggs and everything.

I'm excited to meet everyone and go out for a bit with other chicken people. :)

Back
Top Bottom