A Bielefelder Thread !

Yes, a better chicken year for all I hope. I've been hearing a lot about animal attacks and messed up eggs and everything.

I'm excited to meet everyone and go out for a bit with other chicken people. :)

Chicken people rule!!! Woohoo!
celebrate.gif

Seriously though...chicken people get me. Non-chicken people...they wrinkle up their noses at me and say, "You own chickens?" like I just said I eat live maggots or something.

Chicken people rule!!! Woohoo!
celebrate.gif

Seriously though...chicken people get me. Non-chicken people...they wrinkle up their noses at me and say, "You own chickens?" like I just said I eat live maggots or something.
Want to have a good laugh? Watch these videos about selling eggs and raising chickens.

Last edited:
I have a few questions. Is it safe to say that all the Bielefelders in the US right now, originate from the GFF stock brought here a couple of years ago? If that is so how do we ensure that we are not passing along some bad traits? Where does genetic diversity come from? I am just begining to gather birds for my breeding program. So if I buy from different breeders will there be enough distance in the relationships of the parent birds? Does that make sense?

I thought? I had read somewhere, quite probably here on BYC, that the separation of 500? Miles is enough help with the genetics. So miles, environment, different generational levels and different breeders can all add up to affect the genes that are passed on. That and the selection of using the best males/females to continue your flock. Cull out the obvious low level birds, always continually select the high end of your birds.

Thank you. I will continue to watch this thread to try to understand what is proper type. Pictures, not drawings of good examples would be very helpful. From all that i have read these will be great birds to own. I would love to promote this breed here in North Idaho and neighboring Eastern Washington. I do not know of anyone around here that has an established flock. Saris is just getting started too, and I am hoping we can help each other. My new babies should be here tomorrow!! You all please send positive thought they make it alive!!!

Understand that I'm a newbie to the bielefelder and chickens also. So take what "I think" with a big grain/pile of salt.

I hope others of better experience would chime in if I have/had said anything out of line with their knowledge.

Looking forward to yours and others experience with this breed. Very friendly and knowledgeable people here.

Thank you. I will continue to watch this thread to try to understand what is proper type. Pictures, not drawings of good examples would be very helpful. From all that i have read these will be great birds to own. I would love to promote this breed here in North Idaho and neighboring Eastern Washington. I do not know of anyone around here that has an established flock. Saris is just getting started too, and I am hoping we can help each other. My new babies should be here tomorrow!! You all please send positive thought they make it alive!!!
If they don't I hope to have extra chicks available soon! I would love to help out.

I have a few questions. Is it safe to say that all the Bielefelders in the US right now, originate from the GFF stock brought here a couple of years ago? If you said that not all stock originated from GFF, then you might have DHS knocking down your door to find out who else brought them in. If that is so how do we ensure that we are not passing along some bad traits? By breeding out the bad traits.Where does genetic diversity come from? The genetic pool for chickens and every "kind" is always getting smaller. But other breeds and of course God to answer your question. I am just beginning to gather birds for my breeding program. So if I buy from different breeders will there be enough distance in the relationships of the parent birds? Yes. Make sure that you get reviews on the breeders you wish to buy from to make sure that you aren't getting hard to breed out problems. For example Sprigs or White tail feathers. Does that make sense? Yes. If you you want more informed answers I suggest you check out this thread.
EDIT: look up standard in this thread for good quality breeding bird pics.

Last edited:
I guess I am confused. I want to promote a breed that is truly a dual purpose chicken for the homesteader that is looking for a egg producer and also a meat bird. What difference does it make if a white feather or other color shows up here and there? If the hens lay huge brown eggs and the offspring are suitable for the table why should feathers be a problem... I am not trying to be argumentative! I am just trying to understand why things like that matter?

Back
Top Bottom