A Bielefelder Thread !

Don't you just love the surprises ???

Remember I crossed my Silver Cuckoo Marans to my Bel hens ? Then I bred the F-1 hens (I call Silvers) back to the Silver Cuckoo Marans, and got 3 white chicks....such a surprise !

So is it a white Marans, or is it a Silver Bielefelder ?

Either way, it is exciting!!!

wee.gif

awesome! and we get pictures?

Oh, what a lovely day! High 40's, sun shining, light breeze...
And time to start the biweekly pen cleaning! May as well start moving birds to the other coops, too. I have the big shed (12x30') that has 2 - 4x6' penes, 1 - 4x5 pen, 1 - 4x4 pen and 1 - 4x3 pen, a 6x8 coop with a 6x10 attached dog kennel run and a 10x10 coop. The quad of Bielefelders were moved to the 6x8 coop w/ run today. So... Pictures! Again!

Roo #2 - his comb still isn't as nice as my favorite boy's but overall, he still a good looking bird. His attitude has not improved.

All four of the quad.

Roo #1 - I need to trim his lower beak since he broke his top one off... I swear he likes to pose for me.

Roo #3 - These are the best I could get. He was still pacing and my point and shoot camera is crappy.

Last edited:
I'm hoping you guys can tell me which chicks to keep, I want to keep 5 or 6 girls. I know one girl is a "cull" since she has feathered legs. But I have pics of all my girls and boys other than two I sold.

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

All together. I can visually spot which ones came from papa brooder (more reddish and squiggly stripes) and which ones came from chicken hill poultry (Darker brown and straighter stripes)

Boys A

Boys B (the center is a "cull" as he's small and hatched with his yolk sac incompletely absorbed.

Boys all together papa brooder's are bigger and brighter orange with the blurry head spot, Chicken hill poultry have a crisper headspot and aren't as vibrantly colored. (look how tiny yolkie face is)

Before I started following this thread, I bought my first auction that included Biele's among other breeds. I named the two Biele surviors Hansel and Gretel. Then I joined this thread and saw you have two with the same name. How funny. I will get up to date pics to show you.

They really are perfect names for Biels, aren't they? My two won their names by hatching simultaneously, both less than an hour after pipping, and coming from the same breeder. It just seemed like that natural choice for their names.
wink.png

I'm hoping you guys can tell me which chicks to keep, I want to keep 5 or 6 girls. I know one girl is a "cull" since she has feathered legs. But I have pics of all my girls and boys other than two I sold.

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

All together. I can visually spot which ones came from papa brooder (more reddish and squiggly stripes) and which ones came from chicken hill poultry (Darker brown and straighter stripes)

Boys A

Boys B (the center is a "cull" as he's small and hatched with his yolk sac incompletely absorbed.

Boys all together papa brooder's are bigger and brighter orange with the blurry head spot, Chicken hill poultry have a crisper headspot and aren't as vibrantly colored. (look how tiny yolkie face is)

I would keep 4 girls from chicken hill poultry and 2 girls from papa brooder, since CH has better Auto Sexing.

Last edited:
They would be preferable to me, but who knows they could all have sprigs on their combs(which would be
tongue.gif
), hence the 2 Papas Brooder girls.
Are sprigs something you can see now? I was going to count the points when the chicks are a few days old and the combs aren't squished from being in the egg. How many points should they have?

They would be preferable to me, but who knows they could all have sprigs on their combs(which would be:tongue ), hence the 2 Papas Brooder girls.

Speaking of sprigs on their combs, i need to see a pic from a live chicken that shows that. I am not familiar with what that is. Can someone put up two pics, a good example and a bad please. I am trying to evauate my oldest pair at 4 mos.

Speaking of sprigs on their combs, i need to see a pic from a live chicken that shows that. I am not familiar with what that is. Can someone put up two pics, a good example and a bad please. I am trying to evauate my oldest pair at 4 mos.
I googled it, side sprigs are little points of the comb that jut off to the side.
173.jpg

Back
Top Bottom