A Bielefelder Thread !

I've never added eggs over multiple days. I place them all at the same time so they can incubate equally. Otherwise you can have a rather stressed out mother hen trying to hatch eggs and tend to hatched chicks simultaneously until she decides to abandon remaining eggs in favor of protecting the chicks that are already hatched.
That is what I was wondering about. I read somewhere ( not sure where) that they have a mysterious way of controlling the hatch because hens don't lay all their eggs the same day. I was figuring that I might be able to remove the eggs and add them to the incubator for the last few days if I need to. I will candle them before hand. Given the fertility rate I would be lucky to get one!
fl.gif

How is your weather these days???

I had a hen hatch eggs and the first one hatched on friday and the last couple hatched out on thursday the following week. Talked about a stressed out hen and chicks. I ended up giving her water and food just in front of her as she would not leave the next. I then just gave the broodys eggs all at once as a true broody will not leave a nest even if it is empty.

I then started to incubate eggs and have the broody sit on golfballs. I then put 12 chicks under her or less depending on the year.

That is what I was wondering about. I read somewhere ( not sure where) that they have a mysterious way of controlling the hatch because hens don't lay all their eggs the same day. I was figuring that I might be able to remove the eggs and add them to the incubator for the last few days if I need to. I will candle them before hand. Given the fertility rate I would be lucky to get one!
fl.gif

How is your weather these days???

They way they control the hatch is by "hiding" the eggs they lay and not sitting on them until their clutch reaches the size they want. Then they sit on all of the eggs at one time. An egg needs to be exposed to 95+ degrees for a full 24 hours before it starts to develop. By sitting on all of the eggs at the same time, the mother hen increases the likelihood that the eggs will all hatch within about a 24-hour period, making her life a lot easier.

Our weather is finally improving. "Fall" in southern AZ usually means temperatures around 90* or lower in the daytime and as low as the mid-50s at night.
smile.png
The chickens are VERY happy with the change.

They way they control the hatch is by "hiding" the eggs they lay and not sitting on them until their clutch reaches the size they want. Then they sit on all of the eggs at one time. An egg needs to be exposed to 95+ degrees for a full 24 hours before it starts to develop. By sitting on all of the eggs at the same time, the mother hen increases the likelihood that the eggs will all hatch within about a 24-hour period, making her life a lot easier.

Our weather is finally improving. "Fall" in southern AZ usually means temperatures around 90* or lower in the daytime and as low as the mid-50s at night.
smile.png
The chickens are VERY happy with the change.
How would they hide them? Or do they hide them when they can lay them outdoors?

Glad to hear it is cooling off! Our days are in the upper 70s and the nights are in the 50s. It is 54 right now. The grass is wet in the morning... I wish I could keep it this way all year round.
smile.png

How would they hide them? Or do they hide them when they can lay them outdoors?

Glad to hear it is cooling off! Our days are in the upper 70s and the nights are in the 50s. It is 54 right now. The grass is wet in the morning... I wish I could keep it this way all year round.
smile.png

Typically a hen that is allowed to roam free would find a location she felt was safe and begin laying her eggs there. I've heard stories of hens hiding their eggs behind wood piles, under porches, under bushes, etc. Then when she's content with the number of eggs she would find her way to that hiding place and begin to sit on her clutch. Broody hens typically like to remain isolated from the rest of the flock under they deem it safe to reveal their chicks to the flock.

Typically a hen that is allowed to roam free would find a location she felt was safe and begin laying her eggs there. I've heard stories of hens hiding their eggs behind wood piles, under porches, under bushes, etc. Then when she's content with the number of eggs she would find her way to that hiding place and begin to sit on her clutch. Broody hens typically like to remain isolated from the rest of the flock under they deem it safe to reveal their chicks to the flock.
That is interesting. My neighbors were chicken sitting at the end of August (trip to India!) and one of our EE hens refuses to stay in the outer run. She flies over the gate and free ranges at her leisure. She goes in and out until they all go into the coop. I close the gate at dusk, and open it at 7 am, when she begins her wanderlust. Wendi found a stash of her eggs between the straw bales of our vegetable garden!. She hasn't exhibited any signs of broodiness, and she hasn't hidden her eggs since that happened. Perhaps we didn't have enough nest boxes when we left. We just added 3 more, but she wasn't laying outside after the original stash was found.

Then again, maybe she is laying somewhere out there!

Thanks for sharing.
bow.gif

@Coop de Grass You can keep a close eye on her and set up and indoor brooder and take the chicks as they hatch to keep her on the nest. You may end up with the older chicks rejecting her later on though, or her rejecting them when you try and put them all together.

I like the idea of putting food and water really close to her so she doesn't need to get up when the first chicks may want food.

@Coop de Grass You can keep a close eye on her and set up and indoor brooder and take the chicks as they hatch to keep her on the nest. You may end up with the older chicks rejecting her later on though, or her rejecting them when you try and put them all together.

I like the idea of putting food and water really close to her so she doesn't need to get up when the first chicks may want food.
Thanks @Saris ! I will try that. I was thinking of letting the first chicks hatch and then putting the other eggs into the incubator. In the meantime I will play it by ear! This is a first time broody, but she is brooding successfully unlike her sister, so I am leaving her be. She has come out of the nest and returned within the hour. I think that she will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom