A Bielefelder Thread !

I'm
Thank you! Since I'm in north Dakota i hope i can charge anywhere from $10-$15 a chick since they are cold hardy and good layers. I just hope males sell well also..

I live in Arkansas and have been selling chick pairs at $30. i don't over hatch though. Hatch a few, sell them, then I hatch more. They've earned their keep, which is all I care about. Lovely birds, great layers, super docile and friendly, plus they help support my chicken addiction. What's not to love?

I know some of you have hatched Bielfelder chicks. Our hens really kicked into laying a couple of weeks ago and now we have quite a few in the incubator. We find their eggs are hard to candle as they are dark and opaque. What is your experience? Thanks
Of the 11 eggs I hatched 2 weeks ago, I only found the 3 darker ones more difficult to candle. I would say that in general most darker brown eggs are harder to candle, but using a strong or multiple flashlights (I hold one to the tip and one to the back when in a dark room) usually lets you get a pretty decent view.

I'm
I live in Arkansas and have been selling chick pairs at $30. i don't over hatch though. Hatch a few, sell them, then I hatch more. They've earned their keep, which is all I care about. Lovely birds, great layers, super docile and friendly, plus they help support my chicken addiction. What's not to love?
I'm in Central North Carolina and I'm getting $15 per pullet up to about two months old, then the price goes up accordingly. While I could probably get a bit more, to me it is a fair price and I just have a problem with the likes of GFF selling pullets for $29 for such a young, fragile creature (particularly if they have white earlobes!). Pairs I sell for $25, single cockerels $10. Discounts, of course, for multiple purchases.

Thank you! Since I'm in north Dakota i hope i can charge anywhere from $10-$15 a chick since they are cold hardy and good layers. I just hope males sell well also..

Alot people just give away the males. (mostly complimentary when buying a female)
When I bought my two females the breeder threw in 7 males she didn't want
big_smile.png

I think that $25 a hen is a little exorbitant unless you have good quality birds.
I am planning on selling some for around $15 and will see how that goes, if they go really fast or slow I'll change the price accordingly.
(they are due to hatch next tues
celebrate.gif
)

Last edited:
Alot people just give away the males. (mostly complimentary when buying a female)
When I bought my two females the breeder threw in 7 males she didn't want
big_smile.png

I think that $25 a hen is a little exorbitant unless you have good quality birds.
I am planning on selling some for around $15 and will see how that goes, if they go really fast or slow I'll change the price accordingly.
(they are due to hatch next tues
celebrate.gif
)
I think you've got a good plan. Like I said, I ask $15 per pullet and the quality of my birds is quite nice, to SOP, with lovely temperaments and great health. I've been working on my line for three years now and am really happy with the results. Now to get through the hot summer at our new farm with less shade! Misters at the ready!!!!!!

When I bought my two females the breeder threw in 7 males she didn't want:D  
(they are due to hatch next tues:celebrate )

Thank you everyone! I cant wait tk start breeding and selling these chicks!

Last week I lost my Bielefelder Chickpea to Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic Syndrome. I knew she was a big bird, we called her Chubby Chubby Chickpea, I had no idea it was a risk to her. She died at 3.1 kg. Has anyone else gone through this?

Last week I lost my Bielefelder Chickpea to Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic Syndrome. I knew she was a big bird, we called her Chubby Chubby Chickpea, I had no idea it was a risk to her. She died at 3.1 kg. Has anyone else gone through this?

I haven't had any die from that, but I do know that Biels pack on a whole lotta fat, and the more mature ones I've culled have all had fatty liver, and the last rooster I culled had over 2 cups of extra fat on his body, not counting all the fat surrounding his organs. He was over 4.5 kg live weight and processed out at over 3.2 kg AFTER removing all that fat.

Back
Top Bottom