A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Camp Julsby

Camp Julsby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Crestline, Ca.
    I would say send thoes eggs my way because I would love to try it, but the incubator is full currently. Maybe one of the cochins will go broody for me and then I can have you send eggs out to me. It would be fun to see what we would get as far as auto sexing and egg color. [​IMG]

2. VistaSRJ

VistaSRJ Out Of The Brooder

My 9 month old pullets are laying steadily now, and I started shipping eggs two weeks ago. My eggs are fertile, and my shipping method must be working because one buyer let me know that after 10 days in the incubator, 11 of her 12 eggs are looking good! If anyone is interested, please send me a PM. Thanks!

3. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas

Yes, you couldn't tell the cross bred chicks from the pure bred chicks.

I used bielefelder roo over cream legbar hen. Eggs vary in color, 2 lay olive eggs and 1 almost a white egg. The roosters look nothing like either breed.

[​IMG]
    This is a picture of my 1st olive colored egg back in March.
    [​IMG]
    2 of the biel x cl pullets.
    [​IMG]
    Biel x cl rooster that I kept. There were 3 more looked just like him, they ate good.

2 people like this.
  4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    How big is the cross compare to the pure Bielefelder. The CL taste really good, but has little to no meat. My Bielefelder are still young and can't wait to cross with other breed. Have you cross with English Orpington?

5. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    The crosses far as size equals out to about normal size chicken. They are bigger than the real small cl, but no where near the size of the bielefelder.

The biel x cl roosters only dressed out between 2 - 2 1/2 pounds. I killed them probably between 6 and 8 months old. The rooster I kept, him and a biel rooster are my yard chickens. They are best buddies and spend the day together.

The only other cross I have done is biel roo x black sex link hen. I'm hoping they will be good layers.

6. texasmomma

texasmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    They should be good layers. Were they sex linked?

7. treefarmer42

treefarmer42 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2014
    Reading, PA
    Hello,
    Looking for advice on my future Bielefelder flock. I have an inside coop that is 12x12' and an outside run that's only 8x8'. How many Bielefelders would you suggest for such a small area. Right now I have 13 (5) week olds and hoping to keep 2 roosters and 7 females. Looking for feedback in regards to you believing they will do fine or not in this amount of area.
    Thank you

8. Congratulations on your new flock - you're going to love them!
    I think you have a very nice space for them - don't get rid of any pullets on account of space! You'll be just fine [​IMG]

9. treefarmer42

treefarmer42 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2014
    Reading, PA
    Thank you. I have 6 roosters and 7 hens. Keeping them all till Spring time. I plan on keeping all females but will have to find homes for 5 of the 7 roosters. I never raised Bielefelders before but hoping the roosters play nice through Winter. I know my Silver laced wyandotte roosters do not play nice if I have more then 1 rooster in their pen. I know size of pen comes into play but I can't
    have them free range. My wife would not appreciate the mess.[​IMG]

10. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Anybody have any pure Bieleflder chicks or Barnevelder chicks in middle Tennessee for sale?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by