A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    Of the two you processed, how much did the smaller bird weigh? I'd like to get an idea of how long we're looking at growing out the excess roos.

2. texasmomma

texasmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    It's funny. The first one we did was about 8 lbs and he ended up being about 2.5 pounds processed. He was the head roo. The other one was in the same range and he processed to 4.5 pounds.

I have no idea why the first one was so light. He had three testicles, so maybe all that testosterone made him weigh less overall?

I looked up how much these guys weighed and edited the post.

LOL

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  3. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    I hope that the smaller roo is an exception rather than the norm given that Bielefelders seem to have big appetites. We might be in trouble if they camp out at the feeder more than my Faverolles pigs.

Maybe it will balance out with Legbars and other more efficient eaters in the mix.

4. TNBEARCHICK

TNBEARCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY

Our plans are the same but I haven't eaten one yet. We have sold everyone.

5. treefarmer42

treefarmer42 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2014
    Reading, PA
    I am truly surprised how much they eat. I knew they are a large breed but their appetite is a bit unnerving to say the least. My Biels are 10 weeks old now and I have 5 roosters and 7 hens. I attached photo and must say their size is as surprising as their appetite. I can see a difference in the size of the roosters vrs. hens, hens are a bit smaller. In 6 weeks 3 roosters will go and I'll change their feed to 1/2 shelled corn and 1/2 mash. That will help with the feed bill through Winter.
    [​IMG]

6. VistaSRJ

VistaSRJ Out Of The Brooder

Be prepared- they keep eating a lot for several months; even when free ranged mine preferred to keep their heads in the feed bowl. And they don't grow very quickly. I started out with 7 cockerels and 9 pullets, planning to butcher 3-4 cockerels around 20 weeks. We butchered one, and the carcass was so light, I ended up keeping the others for a couple more months because there was nothing but bones; I'd already put so much into them, it was pure waste if I'd butchered at that age. (These cockerels were nothing like my Wyandottes, who at 20 weeks were fairly meaty.) And make sure you let them sit for a few days to soften as much as possible. They were plenty tough by 7 months, but the meat was tasty.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  7. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    I have 12 juveniles around 10-12 weeks old that eat less than 1 scoop of feed per day, and I have 5 hens and 2 roos that are laying and eat less than 1 scoop of layer pellets per day. Standard feed scoop holds around 2.5-3 pounds of feed. This is in line with other heavy breeds that we have raised.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  8. TNBEARCHICK

TNBEARCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    Ours eat a lot when young but they tapered off as they matured and now they eat no more than Orpingtons.

9. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    My Bielefelder don't eat that much as young age. There are 2 lines so there may be a difference between them..

10. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    I agree mine don't eat me out of house and home either. I ferment my feed which might fill them up sooner. My Rooster is hudge at 7 1/2 months old. Still waiting on that first egg tho. Pam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by