A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
We processed ours kind of early - 4 - 5 months. One was small, though he looked large. The other was over 4 lbs of processed bird.

The roo that we kept is awesome.

Of the two you processed, how much did the smaller bird weigh? I'd like to get an idea of how long we're looking at growing out the excess roos.

Of the two you processed, how much did the smaller bird weigh? I'd like to get an idea of how long we're looking at growing out the excess roos.

It's funny. The first one we did was about 8 lbs and he ended up being about 2.5 pounds processed. He was the head roo. The other one was in the same range and he processed to 4.5 pounds.

I have no idea why the first one was so light. He had three testicles, so maybe all that testosterone made him weigh less overall?

I looked up how much these guys weighed and edited the post.

LOL

Last edited:
I hope that the smaller roo is an exception rather than the norm given that Bielefelders seem to have big appetites. We might be in trouble if they camp out at the feeder more than my Faverolles pigs.

Maybe it will balance out with Legbars and other more efficient eaters in the mix.

Thanks for your input, I have never seen a breed that grows out like the Bielefelder's. Two of my roos are 12 months old and they are huge, so I may just keep my hatching roos and grow them out to about 6 months and process them. My hens are good size for a large breed hen, and are laying very well, but the roo's are exceptional.

Our plans are the same but I haven't eaten one yet. We have sold everyone.

I hope that the smaller roo is an exception rather than the norm given that Bielefelders seem to have big appetites. We might be in trouble if they camp out at the feeder more than my Faverolles pigs.

Maybe it will balance out with Legbars and other more efficient eaters in the mix.

I am truly surprised how much they eat. I knew they are a large breed but their appetite is a bit unnerving to say the least. My Biels are 10 weeks old now and I have 5 roosters and 7 hens. I attached photo and must say their size is as surprising as their appetite. I can see a difference in the size of the roosters vrs. hens, hens are a bit smaller. In 6 weeks 3 roosters will go and I'll change their feed to 1/2 shelled corn and 1/2 mash. That will help with the feed bill through Winter.

Be prepared- they keep eating a lot for several months; even when free ranged mine preferred to keep their heads in the feed bowl. And they don't grow very quickly. I started out with 7 cockerels and 9 pullets, planning to butcher 3-4 cockerels around 20 weeks. We butchered one, and the carcass was so light, I ended up keeping the others for a couple more months because there was nothing but bones; I'd already put so much into them, it was pure waste if I'd butchered at that age. (These cockerels were nothing like my Wyandottes, who at 20 weeks were fairly meaty.) And make sure you let them sit for a few days to soften as much as possible. They were plenty tough by 7 months, but the meat was tasty.

Last edited:
I have 12 juveniles around 10-12 weeks old that eat less than 1 scoop of feed per day, and I have 5 hens and 2 roos that are laying and eat less than 1 scoop of layer pellets per day. Standard feed scoop holds around 2.5-3 pounds of feed. This is in line with other heavy breeds that we have raised.

Last edited:
My Bielefelder don't eat that much as young age. There are 2 lines so there may be a difference between them..

I agree mine don't eat me out of house and home either. I ferment my feed which might fill them up sooner. My Rooster is hudge at 7 1/2 months old. Still waiting on that first egg tho. Pam

Back
Top Bottom