A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    Here's pics of one of my hens. Their has been some say these Bielefelders aren't as big as orpingtons . I don't have Orpingtons but my Bielefelders are the biggest chickens I've ever had. Here's pics at 7 1/2 months old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    They are not as big as my Eng Orps. I just packed some Eng Orps up today and WOW they are just HUGE birds..... solid too. ... well the girls are really sold the boys are a little more fluff LOL. He might have been younger. He took a whole box. I was not sure I would be able to get him in the box LOL.

3. Cody A

Cody A Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2014
    N. Louisiana
    Ok Ron I'm getting excited. :)

4. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Everything I read on the Bielies seem to indicate gentle giants - sort of like Brahmas, Jersey Giants, Sussex, or Faverolles. I love gentle giants but know better than to try to mix them with my Silkies or Ameraucana. 8-9 lb Bielie hens could be intimidating toward my 2 and 5 lb breeds. I just don't tempt fate when there is that much weight difference. But the Bielies do interest me for their great temperament. In my senior years I have chosen lightweight feed-efficient breeds.

Bantams are a hoot. They defend their pecking order status regardless of their diminutive size but they can get hurt - our Silkies learned to fear the aggressive Leghorns after a couple of chasing events (we re-homed the Legs).

My Amer wanted to fly over the 2-foot rabbit fence into the veggie garden but after ushering her gently a couple of times she doesn't go in anymore. She can fly anywhere she wants but after she understands the "rules" she respects the barrier. She can fly to the roof of the coop also but after ushering her off a couple times she doesn't do it any more. She respects the Silkie alpha hen and just runs from her to avoid conflict or jumps over her to get out of her way. She has never retaliated chest bumping from either of the little Silkie hens. Wonderful intelligent breed if we can judge the breed by our Amer alone. Amers/EEs seem to only fight if cornered - otherwise they flee rather than confront.

What breed/s of ducks do you have mixed with your chickens?

5. Stekewood

Stekewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Does anyone else have experience with Bielefelders reaching POL in the dead of winter? I am in the Northeast so the days are very short but getting a little longer each day. When do you think I can expect my 7 month olds hens to start laying? Thanks

6. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Well mine were hatched in April and just started laying 2 weeks ago. It will depend on how cold it is and if they get any supplemental lighting. Otherwise I would expect to wait until late Feb. when winter mellows out and days are a bit longer. The weather in Idaho had warmed up quite a bit and I had put a couple of strands of Christmas lights on my coop. My Bielefelders started laying and are now laying daily. My Jubilee Orpingtons gave a couple of eggs, but can't decide if they really want to start laying yet or not.

7. Stekewood

Jun 9, 2014
    Thanks! I was out with them this morning and for the first time I saw one of the hens in one the nest boxes. My older laying hens (non-Bielefelders) have just started to pick back up in terms of egg production. I don't have any supplemental lighting in either coop so hopefully the same environmental stimulus that's got them going again will kick start the Bielefelders.

8. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I GOT MY FIRST EGG! It was almost as big as my WL hen's egg. Excited about the size.

Now if I just had a cockerel for them [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Stekewood

Jun 9, 2014
    Nice! For those with laying hens are these the typical color range that can be expected or is it more common to have mostly the darker or lighter color?

10. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    My girls lay the darker color. I think that they are lovely and was excited to see them. I had expected a lighter brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by