A Bielefelder Thread !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faysel, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Camp Julsby

Camp Julsby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Crestline, Ca.
    Thank you. I kept a Bielefelder pullet from my Halloween Hatch that was cockerel heavy. Unfotunately I am not allowed to keep Roosters where I live. So auto sexing breeds are a big plus for me I can rehome the cockerel chicks with friends who can keep them before I get busted for roosters crowing. I love the size and egg color on the Bielfelder eggs. Hoping for more pullets than cockerels this round :)

2. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Congrats! My girl isn't at POL yet. I will be hatching every egg I get from her when she is! They are absolute sweethearts, really excited to have this breed.

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Just ask your friend to give you back if there is a quiet rooster. You will be surprise some are very quiet.

4. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    They will be nice size eggs when they start laying. While I collect to ship, I keep them in a Xlarge carton. The eggs are so big the X large carton cannot close. ;)

5. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    You will fall in love with this breed. They are good free Rangers if you have a protacted area for them to forage. They will eat less feed if they can forage after quarantine. That was a very lucky rescue. Pam

1 person likes this.
  6. Ron Skekel

Ron Skekel Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    Both my hens are laying now. Yea!! Can't wait to hatch these beauties.
    [​IMG]
    The dark brown ones are the Bielefelders. Those light brown ones are special too.The blue of course are legbars. Most of those are presold. Crossing my fingers I have a good hatch.
    [​IMG]
    This guy is so handsome and sweet. Pam

1 person likes this.
  7. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    who has snow? my roo absolutely hates it like he will attempt flight to avoid it... otherwise awesome birds my rooster is everything you want from a leader.. he's such a snow wimp though it's rather hysterical.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think it depends somewhat, i have Ameraucana and EE's in my yard(they were here first) and my bielefelders and Malines flock are under them. They don't house together so i will give that, but often they are in each other houses lol The Amera and EE's leave often though, they clear the 4ft fence... sadly the others cannot so remain yarded(big area but such is life)

My Amera and EE"s are indifferent to the silkies i do have a few of them who free range(roos), i personally wouldn't trust mine with my pullet or hen silkies much to small and these girls hold their own, even against the large ducks the free range with.

I think again it's all dynamics and bird personalities. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  10. Stekewood

Stekewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    I have been lurking around this thread since looking at Bielefelders last spring. Got some chicks from RBA in June and so far couldn't be happier with this breed. No eggs yet but they should be coming along any day now.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by