A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
I only have a photo from this morning! I will get better ones when I move them over to the brooder.

Like I said, that was what I found when I googled it. Shortly below my original post, someone pointed out an old breed that has long been recognized that wasn't on the list. I can care less what the APA recognizes or doesn't. I just get birds that I like. I have some cross breeds that I love! They will never be recognized by the APA, like I care!! Bielefelder crosses are what I am talking about. I have some Bielefelder roo over Black Sex Link hens, they are the gentlest and sweetest pullets that I have.

Lots of people love their mixed birds - sort of like the landrace types that got mixed and hardy through the generations. In my case my Pop was a purest and only got purebreds in poultry and livestock, and canines. It kind of rubbed off on me so I personally like pure breeds or heritage breeds like my Pop. Doesn't mean I don't like mixed breeds of animals as every life is a miracle but I'm limited for space so chose the purebred route for my limited flock.

Congratulations! Looks like you have one of each sex? Just curious, if you see them peeping through candling but they have not yet pipped, how do you know when to give the chicks a helping hand?

I've been reading about the Bielefelder breed this morning. Very impressed!

PlumCreek - I recognized your beautiful roo from Craigslist. When I have another hen go broody, I may hit you up for eggs. Do you weigh your eggs for hatching?

Last edited:
I've been reading about the Bielefelder breed this morning. Very impressed!

PlumCreek - I recognized your beautiful roo from Craigslist. When I have another hen go broody, I may hit you up for eggs. Do you weigh your eggs for hatching?

I love this breed. Since they are a larger breed, they take longer to get to POL, but once they do- wow! I should weigh my eggs. I have an antique egg scale that needs calibrated, but in the meantime I think I will go get a scale to see. I know the first eggs they layed were the same size as my leghorns.

I love this breed. Since they are a larger breed, they take longer to get to POL, but once they do- wow! I should weigh my eggs. I have an antique egg scale that needs calibrated, but in the meantime I think I will go get a scale to see. I know the first eggs they layed were the same size as my leghorns.

I read an article that while medium sized eggs hatched at the best %, the larger eggs developed larger chicks.

If I were breeding toward a dual purpose bird, then a larger chick would be what I aimed for as long as it was within standards.

Are there standards? New to the breed so I don't even know.

Last edited:
You are in Elgin! You should definitely come by. Eggs hatch so much better when they aren't shipped. My prices for local folks are better than my shipped prices too because I like to encourage the austin poultry scene.

Back
Top Bottom