A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
Quote:
Thank you so much for this. I will be starting a thread dedicated to this project soon. Currently we are waiting for our Isbar hens to grow out so it will be a while before I can start the IceCreambar project. Nice thing is my Isbar hens and rooster come from three different lines so I should be able to follow your breeding plan. Currently we have a second set of Cream Legbar hens about ready to start laying so I am thinking to put them in with the Isbars as the Isbar rooster looks ready and chases his hens around . So I will be starting with the Super Blue Sex Link Eggers.
Sorry to have hijacked this thread, I am subscribed to it and could not pass up this opportunity.

Last edited:
The End Result will be Barred BBS(blue/black/splash) Isbars that are Autosexing, and that will lay blue eggs

so whats the breeding plan? Lebar rooster over Isbar hens, this will produce all barred birds(could be autosexed, males will have larger headspots) save the blue barred pullets, take this pullets and mate them back to unrelated Blue isbar rooster, this will create Sexlinks, again easy to sex at hatch, the pullets will lack headspot and the males will have headspot. take the most Isbar looking male and mate him with the most isbar looking barred female you produce on the F1s and this will produce 50% double barred males and 50% barred females that will look like pure Isbars except with Barring,

OR..

you can keep both lines(Blue isbars and Cream Legbars) cross the Isbar male with CL females to produce Sex linked Blue eggers, you can sell them at such(hatching eggs) these chicks will be sexable at hatch, but will not be sexable if cross to each other, so Super Blue Sex Link eggers would be their name
I think your comment about males being sexable at hatch from the first cross is INCORRECT. My understanding is that when properly breed barred birds (ie double barred males) the roos from those crosses can be sexed based on the size of the head spot BECAUSE they have two copies. So when only one is present you will not be able to sex the chicks from that first cross.

I will also add that not all barred birds follow those theories either. I have GSBR and all my males are double barred and breed true but I can't sex them by head spots. I have picked chicks with the smallest of spots and they always turn out to be roos. I have been breeding barred rocks for years and Cuckoo's and I don't trust the spots to sex.

The problem comes from people that buy a breed thinking that they will make some money. So they start hatching lots of chicks. And then they realize that everyone around them had the same idea. But now the price has dropped rapidly because there are so many sellers of "rare" breeds. The people that wanted them, already purchased them when they first became available.

Personally I breed because I love breeding chickens. I know that I will never make money at selling chickens. However, I do expect my Bielefelders to keep me happy and provide me with lots of eggs for my friends and family. No eggs, no corn. :)
I don't mind hatching extra Bielefelders because they make great meat birds, so extra Roosters are supper. Extra hens in the egg laying flock.

I don't mind hatching extra Bielefelders because they make great meat birds, so extra Roosters are supper. Extra hens in the egg laying flock.

Have you processed and eaten a Bielefelder rooster yet? We are growing out 9 roo's right now that we plan on eating 7 of. Just wondering how yours turned out?

I think your comment about males being sexable at hatch from the first cross is INCORRECT. My understanding is that when properly breed barred birds (ie double barred males) the roos from those crosses can be sexed based on the size of the head spot BECAUSE they have two copies.
I Disagree, Males have larger headspot even with single barred due to Hormonla factors(males differ from females even at hatch) the difference between single barred and double barred is the dilution effect of double barring, double barred males will have a lighter chick down tone.. Here Pure Barred Rock Female chicks
imag004.jpg
Here Sexlinks, Males displaying large headspot,
afo0312.JPG
and another post To further emphasize the point(double barred males having a lighter down color) Source: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/360109/dominique-chicks-eight-pullets
Quote:

Last edited:
I am not going to argue with you you are the GENETICS expert I am not BUT I do breed them and you don't. Life experience tells me otherwise.

Hi,
I usually hang out on the California threads but have been looking at the Bielefelders on line. I love Crele color and pattern. Can any of you tell me the size (weight) of the adult birds. If they came from Welsummers I don't think they are as large as what I am used to but I love their looks.
Thanks

Welsummers were not used to create the Bielefelder. That would be the "Welbar" which I don't believe is available in this country. The breeds used to create the Bielefelder were cuckoo Malines, Amrocks, Wyandottes, and German New Hampshires. They are very large, even larger than Bresse roosters. My friend breeds them and he has roosters that are 12lbs and growing.

Welsummers were not used to create the Bielefelder. That would be the "Welbar" which I don't believe is available in this country. The breeds used to create the Bielefelder were cuckoo Malines, Amrocks, Wyandottes, and German New Hampshires. They are very large, even larger than Bresse roosters. My friend breeds them and he has roosters that are 12lbs and growing.

I would be so easy to re-create the Welbars, I am surprised that a group of people have not re-create the breed and have them accepted,

Back
Top Bottom