A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
My Sulmtalers are much younger so I can't really make a valid comparison yet and I am not sure there is much to compare. I consider the Sulmtalers to be more exhibition, and the Bielefelders to be more production. I got the Sulmtalers to see if they are really a "quiet" breed and good egg layer, as promoted. Sacramento has recently allowed backyard hens in town, and I thought this might make a good place for them if it is true. So far they are shy in behavior, and a bit flighty. They definitely keep their distance from me, and I have never once found them underfoot at feeding time (that would be the fat little weeble wobble english orpington babies that are always starving!). They remind me of Bredas in temperament, but they are not as hardy or weather resistant.

I do not like that there are a few of the roos that seem to love to torture those smaller than themselves, so we shall see how that goes!! This behavior reminds me of my Marans boys who were also bullies at this age. They are interesting in looks and seem to come in two distinct color patterns. I have honestly not yet paid too much attention to them yet, as they are in a group of 150+ freeranging youth of varied breeds. I have noted that they are very fragile when compared to my others, and have succombed to various random ailments, while others thrived around them.

The Bielefelders are a much bigger, and faster growing bird. They are calm and docile, if a bit "dull" in temperament, when compared to say my Basque or Heritage Rhode Island Reds, which are full of personality as youngsters. They grow crazy fast and are very typey in build and size, which is to say they all look exactly alike! The roosters get along great with all ages and all breeds in my younger group. Even though they tower over everyone, they do not bully or chase or try to jump the young girls. They will probably will make a great breed to market for meat, and maybe egg production, if they do not take too much longer to start laying. The roosters are definitely heavy early! So far they rarely crow. I do like the autosex aspect, and they forage confidently and diligently, just like the RIRs and Basque, and they seem to fly very little. Crossing fingers on both breeds. Stand by for updates  :pop

Christine
Rare Feathers Ranch Herald CA

Thanks for sharing

I was wondering about the growth rates. I will be useing them as a meat and egg bird so the bielefelder is still probably the better choice. I wish I could keep 4-5 breeds but I dont think I will have the space for that lol. Especially since id have to keep them separate unless trying to cross. My top 3 (large breeds) are the bielefelder (like the complex coloration and physical conformity of the breed.. also seems to be the best for what I want), the sulmtaler (I love the look of this breed especially the roos in the silver), third is the silver laced orpingtons ( this is one of the most spectacular colorations of orpingtons ive ever seen... also reminds me of my old buffs but fancier)
I have all three. I am tracking the growth rates of the silver laced orps right now. The Bielefelders were 2 weeks older when I started the comparison. So it will be an interesting comparison.

I have both Sulmtalers (3 different import lines) and Bielefelders.  While they are both good dual-purpose breeds, they have different requirements.  Bielefelders are a production breed.  While they prefer to be outside roaming around, they don't seem to care about being inside a run.  The Sulmtalers, on the other hand, hate being confined.  They are flighty and will get out of a run and free-range whether or not you want them to do so.  I gave up trying to keep my Sulmtalers in a pen.  Now i just watch the little parade of Sulmtalers walking in the woods around my house.  They always come home.  Both are calm birds and grow very large while still being friendly to humans.  The only downside to the Bielefelders is that both the males and the females are loud.  

Thanks for the reply. This was very helpful :)

I have a group of 8 hens and 2 roos from Greenfire that are six months old now. Looking for someone who would like to start an egg/chick swap for genetic diversity as soon as mine get going.

I also would like to do the same for my Sulmtalers (4 mo now), Basque Hens, and Blue Breda Fowl. (All are Greenfire Farms stock).

Thank You,

Christine

Rare Feathers Ranch - Herald CA

I would do that but my Bs are babies from 2 different breeders. Just weeks old. The 2 pullets came from 1st generation from Greenfire from an Oregon breeder & the cockerel is from 2nd or 3rd generation Greenfire eggs from Louisiana. I had a terrible hatch but a friend had a great one & shared one of her cockerels with me.
Not sure but I don't think Herald is too far of a drive from Turlock where I live. Maybe in the future.

I have a group of 8 hens and 2 roos from Greenfire that are six months old now. Looking for someone who would like to start an egg/chick swap for genetic diversity as soon as mine get going.

I also would like to do the same for my Sulmtalers (4 mo now), Basque Hens, and Blue Breda Fowl. (All are Greenfire Farms stock).

Thank You,

Christine

Rare Feathers Ranch - Herald CA

We also have both breeds here, though on a smaller scale than what it sounds like you have. We were lucky enough to hatch a trio of GDW Sulmtalers (I know I shouldn't call them that) from eggs shipped to us from Sunbird Farms before the passed along theirs. They are 3 1/2 months old. Our Bielefelders are also from Sunbird Farms, we started with a adult trio last year. We lost our two hens, but were able to hatch quite a few first. We currently have 8 pullets and 11 cockerels 5-6 months old and our original rooster (Dieter).
We are definitely way out of the way over here, but would be interested in swapping eggs down the road. Greenfire farms is the origins of all the Bielefelder and Sulmtaler stock all of us have but it should be good to keep mixing it up right.
We are pretty new at this and have yet to decide which breeds will stay on our "farm". I love the Bielefelders temperament especially the roosters, The Sulmtalers are much more offish so far. We also have several other breeds we are experiencing and will eventually settle to 1-3 different breeds. Funny thing is all of our breeds originated from Greenfire Farms, didn't really mean for it to happen like that just did.

We also have both breeds here, though on a smaller scale than what it sounds like you have. We were lucky enough to hatch a trio of GDW Sulmtalers (I know I shouldn't call them that) from eggs shipped to us from Sunbird Farms before the passed along theirs. They are 3 1/2 months old. Our Bielefelders are also from Sunbird Farms, we started with a adult trio last year. We lost our two hens, but were able to hatch quite a few first. We currently have 8 pullets and 11 cockerels 5-6 months old and our original rooster (Dieter).
We are definitely way out of the way over here, but would be interested in swapping eggs down the road. Greenfire farms is the origins of all the Bielefelder and Sulmtaler stock all of us have but it should be good to keep mixing it up right.
We are pretty new at this and have yet to decide which breeds will stay on our "farm". I love the Bielefelders temperament especially the roosters, The Sulmtalers are much more offish so far. We also have several other breeds we are experiencing and will eventually settle to 1-3 different breeds. Funny thing is all of our breeds originated from Greenfire Farms, didn't really mean for it to happen like that just did.
Hi Jerry, Hope all is well with you & your family. I am hoping good things for my Bielefelders. I just have a very young trio to start with maybe I can get eggs from you when the time comes. Did you get to try the fodder feeders yet?

Hi Karen, We are well thank you. Haven't started with the fodder yet unfortunately, seems I can never get caught up. That and I haven't been able to find a local, reasonable source for seed yet. Going to the feed store now so I will try to remember to ask them about it, thanks for reminding me.
Would love to trade eggs with you when you are ready. We can probably use the N Ca thread underground transportation system too.
big_smile.png
That would be fun to see if we could make that work.
jumpy.gif

I am a pretty frequent buyer of theirs. Most of the time I get extra chicks from her. Once I won a dozen and she sent 22! Last time I won a dozen and got 13 so I think it depends on what's in the brooder. They ship well and at low cost, and usually almost everyone survives the trip just fine, which for me is Florida to California. You will love their Bielefelders!

Christine
Rare Feathers Ranch

Back
Top Bottom